Windows 10 Won't Recognize Tablet or Phone

katcetera
katcetera Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

I have the Iconia Tablet B1-730 & an Acer Liquid phone. Since I upgraded to windows 10, my Aspire E15 won't recognize them. I tested my USB ports and they're fine. It shows on my battery icon on the devices that they're charging, but nothing is detected on the laptop at all. Please help!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

once connected the tab or smartphone, can you check on device manager if they are listed?

windows key logo + x

choose Device manager

by the way, those devices use MTP communication via USB, so windows must recognise them without issues, since it's a basic driver.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • katcetera

I did that, and still nothing. Do you have an idea what category it would be under in device manager? I checked them all, and didn't see anything, but you never know. I just plugged another tablet into the same cord/port and windows responded like it was suppose to. 

• IronFly

normally under storage if i remember correctly.

on device manager, under view tab, select  show hidden devices and then plug your devices.

• katcetera

I found my sony phone under "portable devices". I searched for updates and it said it was UTD and that the device was not connected, when it is. No trace of the Acer phone and tablet at all.

• IronFly
    Yes Sony uses UTD.

Acer used mass storage on old devices and MTP on new devices.

It's strange that they are missing from any list, have you tried different USB ports and cables?
  • katcetera

Yes, I have tried different ports and cables. I was hoping my problem was that simple. 

• IronFly

you mentioned Acer Liquid, the first model?

try to take off the battery for a while, put it back, boot and then connect it.

• RachelZ
    RachelZ Member Posts: 6 New User
    This is one of the ways I saw on the official Microsoft website:
    Uninstall and reconnect the external hard drive.
    This method can solve the problem that the currently loaded USB driver becomes unstable or damaged.
    1. Select "Start" on your computer and enter "Device Manager" in the search box. Select Device Manager from the list of returns.
    2. Select "Disk Drive" in the hardware list.
    3. Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the problem and select Uninstall.
    4. After removing the hard drive, unplug the USB cable.
    5. Wait 3 minutes and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should load automatically.
    6. Check if the USB drive is back to normal in Windows Explorer.
    You can also find other ways to resolve this issue on the official website.
  • RachelZ
    RachelZ Member Posts: 6 New User
    RachelZ said:
    This is one of the ways I saw on the official Microsoft website:
    Uninstall and reconnect the external hard drive.
    This method can solve the problem that the currently loaded USB driver becomes unstable or damaged.
    1. Select "Start" on your computer and enter "Device Manager" in the search box. Select Device Manager from the list of returns.
    2. Select "Disk Drive" in the hardware list.
    3. Press and hold (or right-click) the USB external hard drive with the problem and select Uninstall.
    4. After removing the hard drive, unplug the USB cable.
    5. Wait 3 minutes and then reconnect the USB cable. The driver should load automatically.
    6. Check if the USB drive is back to normal in Windows Explorer.
    You can also find other ways to resolve this won't recognize issue on the official website.
    Maybe useful. .