acer chromebook screen cracked.. told it was my fault

raven901402
raven901402 Member Posts: 1 New User

just a Few minutes ago, maybe 30 i was typing a paper for my penal law class while charging my chromebook. out of no where the screen blanked for about 4 seconds and when it came back on there was a huge crack in the screen. only the right side of the screen is visible. Immediately i called ACER becuase 1) my paper is due tonight and 2) becuase what the heck!?!?!? I was transfered to the the techncal departmnt after providing my SNID. the representative's line was choppy but just clear enough for me to hear the two questions she asked me. 1) did you drop the computer? -no im sitting at a table  2) were you using the touchscreen to type? i do no have a touchscreen. she puts me on hold and tells me that i have a limited warranty so i have to pay $119.99 to fix the screen that broke on its own. If i did NOT drop the computer OR put too much pressure using the touchscreen that i do not have why a iresponsible for paying for this ?  When i asked to sepak to a manager the rep told me that i could not but that she would put me on hold and talk to her supervisor on my behalf.. when she came back she repested the same nonsense about it not being covered. 

i gave acer a second try and i am disappointed yet again.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi raven,

I'm sorry for the set up circumstances you're dealing with. I understand what you're saying happened, and it is a strange occurence. Maybe our staff did not take the time to communicate as well as we would have liked to but unfortuantely, an LCD panel or the glass or whatever we want to call it doesn't just spontaneously break. Some sort of force has to  be applied at some point to cause this to happen. I'm not saying you specifically did this, but it is not a result of manufacturing defect that would require Acer to be responsible for replacing the part. I'd like to help get you back up and running, if you'd like to send me a private message with your contact info, I'll ask our support team to review and see we can help with shipping and reduced costs related to the LCD screen.

Cory

• bigbear639
    bigbear639 Member Posts: 33 New User

Actually it is a well known fat that Glass can crack under extreme cold or heat. It happens in Aircraft, Autos and Appliances. There were reports of screens cracking in Apple Ipads and cell phones. It has happened in temperatures under 100 F, and cold 12 F. Perhaps no one is to blam.