Aspire XC-605 No bootable drives after BIOS update

jm3245
jm3245 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 on my Aspire XC-605 yesterday. I could not get the sound to work after that. I saw in another discussion that a BIOS update was recommended.

So, I updated the BIOS to P11.B4. The update went fine, no errors reported. Upon rebooting, I went into the BIOS settings and loaded defaults as recommended in the README file.

However, my system no longer sees a bootable hard drive. Every time I reboot, I receive this message: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key.

If I go into Advanced -> Miscellaneous in BIOS, my hard drive is definitely shown in AHCI Port2. In Boot Options, the 1st Boot Device is set to Hard Disk. But when I go into Hard Disk Drive Priority, there is nothing listed at all.

Any suggestions? I have a brick right now.

Best Answer

• jm3245
    Answer ✓

Well, I'll be ... I figured it out after several maddening hours.

I googled and found several similar stories for this error message, and everything seemed to be leading to me needing CSM enabled. I had noticed that the Launch CSM setting in BIOS was grayed out and set to "Never" in the BIOS.

I finally realized that disabling Secure Boot allowed me to toggle the Launch CSM setting. I then set it to "Always". Everything seems to be working now.

Answers

• jm3245

Another point to add: My system doesn't recognize bootable CDs after the BIOS update.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

update to windows 10 or clean install?

your previous OS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jm3245

Updated to Windows 10. It went well, other than the sound issue. Previous was Windows 7.

I have now tried a bootable USB drive and still get the same error. The system just does not recognize any bootable drives (hard disk, CD, USB) after updating the BIOS.

I tried pulling the CMOS battery and clearing the CMOS. Still nothing.

• jm3245
    Answer ✓

Well, I'll be ... I figured it out after several maddening hours.

I googled and found several similar stories for this error message, and everything seemed to be leading to me needing CSM enabled. I had noticed that the Launch CSM setting in BIOS was grayed out and set to "Never" in the BIOS.

I finally realized that disabling Secure Boot allowed me to toggle the Launch CSM setting. I then set it to "Always". Everything seems to be working now.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Good to hear it.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Edit:

Good job!

• vitasam
    vitasam Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi?

I just got in the same problem yesterday after flashing the P11.B4 BIOS! So the solution is to disable Secure Boot and having CSM Enabled?

• JordanB

vitasam,

If your computer originally came pre-installed with Windows 7, then it came with P21.xx BIOS.  If you made the mistake of updating to P11.B4, then yes the solution is to disable secure boot and to "Launch CSM always".

After you do that, your computer should be fine.

• vitasam

Jordan,

thanks! I bought my XC-605 in July 2014, and it came with Windows 8.0. After that it got an update to Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (during free period).

Problems started with Anniversary 10 update:

1. Update stuck at 91%. After some googling I have figured out that I Am not alone with such problem. After uninstalling of antivirus (Avira) and disabling all side processes I have managed to install Anniversary update.

2. Life on a PC has become complicated. Periodically PC stuck for tens seconds up to a minute. I decided to reinstall Windows 10 through official MS utility and USB boot flash.

3. So, I have updated BIOS (actually BIOS screen shows it as P11-B4, Build date: 06/11/2015).

So, did I do a mistake with BIOS? Is XC-605 eligible for Anniversary Windows 10 Update?

• JordanB

Vitasam,

If your computer came with pre-installed with Windows 8, then no you didn't make a mistake by upgrading to P11.B4.

It's possible you may have made a mistake in the method that you flashed, but P11.B4 should be fine for your computer model.  How did you flash the BIOS?  Did you read the README file and follow the SOP?

Try re-installing Windows 10 using the method/steps in the link below with rufus. The thread is about Windows 8.1 but it's the same instructions for Windows 10.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

My TC-605 uses the same mainboard as your XC-605, and I have no problem with Windows 10 Anniversary.  The only driver that I use from Acer's website is the Realtek audio driver.  The rest of the drivers are automatically installed by Microsoft.

Edit: I'm using P11.B4 and it works fine.

Edit2: If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 then don't disable secure boot and don't set launch CSM to always.

• vitasam

Hi Jordan,

thanks for comprehensive reply. I will quote your text one by one:

>It's possible you may have made a mistake in the method that you flashed,

>but P11.B4 should be fine for your computer model.  How did you flash the BIOS?  

>Do you read the README file and follow the SOP

I did install BIOS through the Windows GUI utility (from BIOS_Acer_P11.B3_A_A.zip  here ). I was trying to use FreeDOS bootable USB with Rufus but did not succeed to boot at all (now I think it is due to Secure boot enabled).

Is this a problem? BIOS seemed flashed correctly - at least PC is bootable.

System About tells:

• WIndows 10 Home
    • Version: 1607
    • OS Build: 14393.105

>Try re-installing Windows 10 using the method/steps in the link below with rufus.

>The thread is about Windows 8.1 but it's the same instructions for Windows 10.

Well, I did use the same utility and used clean installation of Windows 10. But I did not wipe out / formatted HDD. I hope I should not do it since PC seems to be working well now

>The only driver that I use from Acer's website is the Realtek audio driver.  

>The rest of the drivers are automatically installed by Microsoft.

I did install Chipset, Intel Graphics, LAN and Realtek audio.

>If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 then don't disable secure boot.

It is disabled now - should I enable it back? What about CSM ?

* The remaining problem:  after PC goes to sleep; powering it ON causes some long beep sound and after that nothing happends. And today PC woke up after I've switched desk lamp next to it (also long beep sounds and nothing after that).

P.S. PC boots up well from the full cycle (Power OFF -> Power ON)

P.P.S. It is not possible to get out of this beep-sleep mode, only through the long press of power button.

Long beep means some problem? 

• JordanB

A. The Windows GUI utililty (afuwingui) is for experts.  Are you an expert?  Most people that have BIOS problems or brick their XC-605, TC-605, Tc-705, xc-705 use Afuwingui.  You're lucky you didn't brick it.  I read the readme and use the SOP and don't have any problems.

The standard operating procedure (SOP):

1. Download P11.B4

2. Extract

3. Copy the Win and ROM folders to a USB flash drive.

4. Open an admin command prompt

5. If your USB flash drive has a drive letter of F, then you would type

F:

cd win

flash

6. After the processing completes, restart your computer

7. When it prompts you to enter the BIOS, press the "delete" key on your keyboard to enter the BIOS settings

8. Load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B.  If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, don't disable secure boot and don't set launch csm to always.

Good luck

• JordanB

If you're still unsure, go back and re-read both of my posts.

• vitasam

JordanB wrote:

If you're still unsure, go back and re-read both of my posts.

Yes, I did it. Go for SOP re-flashing.

Edit 1:

E:\Win>afuwinx64 ..\ROM\P11-B4.4M /p /b /n /r
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.04.03 |
    | Copyright (C)2012 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Reading flash ............... done
    Secure Flash enabled, recalculate ROM size with signature...
    - FFS checksums ......... ok
    Loading capsule to secure memory buffer ... done
    Erasing Boot Block .......... done
    Updating Boot Block ......... done
    Verifying Boot Block ........ done
    Erasing Main Block .......... done
    Updating Main Block ......... done
    Verifying Main Block ........ done
    Erasing NVRAM Block ......... done
    Updating NVRAM Block ........ done
    Verifying NVRAM Block ....... done

E:\Win>

• JordanB

Ok now restart your computer. Follow the instructions that I gave you!!!!!!!!!!!!

• vitasam
    Spoiler

After rebooting (Del -> BIOS Setup -> F9 -> F10) PC came in to INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE problem. Should I reinstall Windows ?

• JordanB

Which instructions are you having problems with?  I told you to go in to BIOS settings and load defaults....and then save exit.

If that doesn't fixit then re-read my posts and re-install windows with rufus.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• vitasam

Yes, I did exactly as you said, steps 6 to 8:

6. After the processing completes, restart your computer

7. When it prompts you to enter the BIOS, press the "delete" key on your keyboard to enter the BIOS settings

8. Load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

I will reinstall Windows. But at least now BIOS should be Ok for sure.

So is Windows 10 ISO image awailable from Microsoft?

• JordanB

Yes.  Your BIOS is fine now.

The reason you have no bootable device is because you accidentally installed Windows 10 in legacy mode.  It's a very common problem on this forum when people mess with their bios settings.  Smiley Happy  You should keep your BIOS settings at default.  The only BIOS change you should make is to enable the F12 boot menu.

The instructions that I gave you in previous post will allow to do UEFI install of Windows 10

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Again, my advice is to only use the realtek audio from acer website.  Just let Windows automatcially install the rest of your drivers.  It might take up to an hour for that to happen depending on your internet speed.

And sometime tommorrow there will be a big cumulative Windows Updates that should fix any problem that you were having with your comptuter.

• vitasam

Jordan thansk A LOT!

Installing windows. Looking forward Smiley Happy