Simple Support Question

Janschwartz
Janschwartz Member Posts: 2 New User

Is Acer going to commit to, eventually, supporting Windows 10 on the myriad of laptops it sold that are not (yet?) eligible for the upgrade...  Or, do we just up and throw these away and go to a different manufacturer?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

If a machine isn't eligible for the upgrade, it's most often because there is hardware in the machine that is too old for the manufacturer to support. An example would be an 8 or 10 year old video card from ATI. In those years the company was sold and the new owners don't particularly want to spend money on support for those few users who are still using hardware that old.

Most machines from the last few years work without any effort except to make sure all updates have been completed before starting the upgrade. In those cases Acer doesn't have to do special drivers to allow them to be used with W10 and the machines aren't on the list of who is getting new drivers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Janschwartz
    Janschwartz Member Posts: 2 New User

If my machine were that old, the answer would be acceptable...But, the model I have is JUST over 2 years old.  Not a dinosaur...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

And does Microsoft say your machine is not compatible? When you click on the Windows 10 upgrade icon which device does it say is not compatible?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

That is not always true. If you are missing *any* Windows update you are liable to get that message. Both my W3 and W510 got that message but are now upgraded and happy. You may need to use the Windows Migration Tool and not the icon though.

Many people from all the majors are having similar problems, support is just not there yet but all of my machines (tablets, netbooks, desktop) that came with Win 7 or 8 are now running 10.

I have found that some of the upgrade drivers (particularly the Intel DPTF driver for the Clover Trail platform) do not work and need to be rolled back to the last mfr released driver for 8.1. Those work.