How to install removeable HDD in Predator G series

lbeck
lbeck Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I'm able to remove the HDD mount and see there are 4 metal posts with rubber grommets.  I can't figure out how to mount the HDD into the mount.

Is there something from Acer that shows or describes how to do this?  The plastic is flexible enough that I may be able to force the sides apart, but then it may break.....

Thanks,

Lee

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

if you need to remove and insert a new HDD on the hot swap bay, you need to enlarge the 2 plastic strips on the sides of the HDD.

if you can take a picture and post, maybe i will understand better your question. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

can you report the exact G model?

• lbeck
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

if you need to remove and insert a new HDD on the hot swap bay, you need to enlarge the 2 plastic strips on the sides of the HDD.

if you can take a picture and post, maybe i will understand better your question. Smiley Happy

• lbeck

Thanks for our guesswork.  I was hoping to get a response from an owner of a similar machine.  There must be thousands out there.

• This is not a hot swap HDD machine.  It clearly states that the machine must be off for the swap
    • I have no idea what you mean by enlarging the strips on the HDD
    • If you can take a picture of the bay, a HDD with the posts and rubber grommets installed, or some other definitive instructions that would help

Thanks again.  Still hoping to get a response from someone who has a similar machine - or someone who can refer me to instructions.  Maybe a URL?

• IronFly

ok, so if you already took off the expansion HDD bay and unscrewed the front screw and have the HDD tray in hand.

you need to enlarge the sides of the HDD tray and lift the HDD.

ge-605HDD.jpg

• lbeck

Thanks Ironfly.  Your picture looks like my drive enclosure. I have forced he sides apart and used quite a bit of pressure to jam the drive into the plastic.  It seems like a weird design if I'm doing it right.  I didn't want to do it that way because it appeared that I was forcing the plastic close to the breaking point.

i may use screws and washers for the other HDDs that I plan to use.  Forcing the sides apart and jamming the drive into the enclosure just doesn't feel right.  Also, the slotted rubber grommets and large to small holes in the enclosure make it appear that it should slide in somehow rather than forcing the plastic apart.

I'm marking your response as the solution, but it still doesn't seem right.

• IronFly
    I will double check it but there's not much infos aboit that.

You can try to slide in or out the HDD, i too saw that slots but i can't find anywhere a clear way to took off the HDD.

Thanks for marking as answered...but if it's not a good one, i would prefer to not have marked, this to help other users in the future, with the same question. Smiley Happy
  • ARROYO
    ARROYO Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi I have a Acer G3-710-UR11 and to install a extra drive you have to bend the plastic to force it in, looking at the bay front view install the drive first on the two prongs in back, you have to expand the plastic to attach the drive, gently, don't force it, it will fall in place, then do the same with the front right, last the front left prong is adjustable look at it it is different once you have the other 3 in place  pull away the left prong gently so the left front prong falls in place! Took me a while to figure out, like you I did not want to brake the bay.