Clone to SSD Failed to Boot

kohsuke
kohsuke Member Posts: 4 New User

I have a Acer Aspire 5742-6638 running on Core i5-480M on Windows 7 64 bit.  I'm trying to clone my hard disk to a SSD.  Tried with using Paragon Drive Copy and EaseUS Todo Backup.  Both says cloned successfully but both failed to boot.  I inserted the boot disk but still did not boot.  I had no problem cloning a regular hard disk on the same laptop.  I also used the same software to clone a Lenovo latop to a SSD.  It was successful.  I don't know why this laptop can clone to a regular HD but not SSD.  Need help please.

Best Answer

• kohsuke
    Answer ✓

That was a super quick reply.  I confirm the SSD is the first bootable device but I can't answer the first question.  How do I go about seeing "system partition is marked as active and bootable"?  And how do i change it to active and bootable?  Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Is the SSD recognised on BIOS?

press F2 at boot and check if the SSD is listed.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kohsuke

Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked into BIOS via F2 and it does show the SSD.  It just won't boot!

• IronFly

System partition is marked as active and bootable?

SSD is the first bootable device?

• kohsuke
    Answer ✓

That was a super quick reply.  I confirm the SSD is the first bootable device but I can't answer the first question.  How do I go about seeing "system partition is marked as active and bootable"?  And how do i change it to active and bootable?  Thanks in advance.

• IronFly

i think both software you used to clone HDD can give you that infos.

• kohsuke

Thanks again and I will take it apart and cross my fingers.