Aspire M5-481 stuck in Windows 10 repair loop

tchalm
tchalm Member Posts: 13 New User

One of my customers tried doing the Windows 10 upgrade on her Aspire M5-481PT. She said it worked for a day or so, but then on a restart it got stuck in the Automatic Repair loop. All of the advanced repair options lead back to the Automatic Repair.

The last option that we have not tried is the option to do a factory reset. She has a backup with one of the cloud services, but before we go thru that hassle, I'm wondering if anyone has seen info on getting thru the repair loop successfully.

Thanks,

TimC

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you try to boot in safe mode, it still stuck on repair loop?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tchalm

I haven't found the secret combination on how to get to safe mode.

• tchalm

A little progress.

From the Automatic Repair > Advanced Options > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt I ran

bootrec /rebuildbcd .

Then on the next reboot I gained the option for Startup Settings which got me the Safe Mode selections. Unfortunately, all of the Safe Mode options gave me a critical driver error.

Also, on the reboot after the bootrec command I had gained the option to select a previous OS, and from there I got the options for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, neither of those options did anything useful so I'm right back into the boot loop.

• IronFly

from command prompt, use this commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

then try again to boot

• tchalm

Good idea, but didn't help. The interesting thing about the bootrec /scanos command was that 0 Windows installations were found. It's looking like we'll be doing a factory reset.

• IronFly

0 windows installation, nice. Smiley Happy

at this point a restore to factory will be better, i think something went wrong on windows 10 partition.

give a check to errors on HDD.