My network controller does not show up in Device Manger - Acer S7. How do I get the system to recogn

Options
entegrater
entegrater Member Posts: 7 New User

I have Acer S7 391 9413 sytem. The network controller fard seems to have disappeared. It is not listed in Device Manager. I was hoping someone could advise how I can get the system to recognize it again. 

Raj

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

So ethernet controller tree is empty?

if so, the only thing you can try is to reset to factory deafult your OS (re-install it) and check if network adapters appears.

if not, probably there's an hardware issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

i would try to re-install drivers:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4533;-;Aspire%20S7-391

what's your OS?

wifi or ethernet missing?

• entegrater
    Options

OS is Windows 8.1. The ethernet controller is missing from the Device Manager. I recently upgarded my Internet package and can get much faster connection through the wired connection. I tested the wired connection two weeks ago and it was working fine. I have been using wireless since that time and and recently when I tried the wired connection, there was no internet.

Based on research on the net, I have tried the following :

1. Goto Bios and restore default setting. No help

2. Press on the battery reset button on bottom of notebook (simulate removal of battery). No help

Device Manager identifies the Wifi adapter as well as the Bluetooth adapters. Only the enthernet is missing.

Raj

• IronFly
    Options

on device manager, click on view tab and select show hidden devices

check if network adapter appears.

Have you tried to install the LAN drivers?

if go to control panel/network and sharing center

on the left side click on change adapter settings

there is any disabled network controller?

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/37681-network-adapter-nic-enable-disable-windows.html

• entegrater
    Options
    RE: Show hidden devices I still do not see any network adapter being listed. Re: the LAN drivers? I do not see the LAN drivers on the support page. Would you be able to guide me where to get these drivers. I can not locate the product page that will advise what type of network controller was installed in the ultrabook. Re : disabled network controller? None listed. Raj
  • entegrater
    Options

Hi. 

I installed the driver. Still no sign of the ethernet controller in Device Manger

I have two dongles. One for ethernet (USB to ethernet) and a seperate dongle for VGA (micro USB to VGA).  

Raj

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

So ethernet controller tree is empty?

if so, the only thing you can try is to reset to factory deafult your OS (re-install it) and check if network adapters appears.

if not, probably there's an hardware issue.

• entegrater
    Options

Thank You for all your help. 

I was wondering if I should try to upgrade to Windows 10 before trying afactory restore ?

However, the Acer site does not list the S7-391 as a system that is approved for an upgrade. Any thoughts ?

• IronFly
    Options

i don't think that upgrading to Windows 10 will fix your issue, since it's an upgrade not a clean install.

i would prefer to restore factory OS and then, after installing all windows updates, upgrade straight to windows 10.

Acer simply is not giving you any support on drivers, it's better if you a search in this community if someone has issues with your laptop model and windows 10.

• entegrater
    Options

Hi.

I did reset and upgrade to Windows 10. Still no network adpater. So I assume it is a hardware issue.

The upgrade went well but I have two issues. I keep on getting a Shareport message issue and the keep on requesting a Restart. The second issue pertains with the High Definition Audio driver. It states it is looking for a different version of the driver.

I checked online to see if I purchase a network adapter card for laptop. I did not see one. It may be integrated with the motherboard. I can not any specs for the S7-391 available on this site. Would you know where to loacte a schematics of the laptop internal layout ?

Raj

• entegrater
    Options

Please disregard request about the schematics. I found the Service Manual for the S7-391.

Raj

• IronFly
    Options