5553g windows 10

roys
roys Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

I have just applied the Windows 10 upgrade to my Aspire 5553G laptop

The issues so far are:

- touchpad not fully functional

- video driver inadequate (1024x768)

- taskbar on the left of the screen (as opposed to along he bottom) means search doesn't display the box

Is it possible to get drivers for this laptop?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

About VGA drivers:

http://www.amd.com/en-us

click on drivers and support, select GPU drivers and OS.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • roys

Thanks for the quick response!!! - I tried the auto detect and it said there aren't any drivers - do you think its worth digging deeper?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You need to choose it manually from ATI website.....

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • casrtt
    casrtt Member Posts: 6 New User

Joined this forum as I have the same problem of trying to get Windows 10 working.I have tried twice without success, both times going back to windows 7.The 5553G uses two drivers ,HD4250 for the onboard graphics and HD5650 for the graphics adaptor. After the windows 10 upgrade you will get a default 1024 x 768 instead of 1366 x 768 resolution. This is because the HD4250 needs a legacy driver package which contains ATI Power-Xpress switch and more importantly the AMD vision control center. Someone got the 5553G working correctly for windows 8.1 by custom installing the 5000 series drivers without AMD vision control center then installing 4000 series legacy driver package with all the componants. Tried this on windows 10 without success. The only time I have had the correct resolution on the 5553G was to remove all ATI content with a utility and then let windows 10 update install drivers. Then the web browser did not render correctly and after a restart it reverted back to 1024 x 768. This is because of the BIOS pointing to the incorrectly installed or not present 4250 driver package.

The only way I can see to get the 5553G working on windows 10 would be to have a BIOS update, turning off the HD4250 and making it run on the HD5650 only.

Hope some techie here has an alternative, to get the device working on windows 10.

• skebew
    skebew Member Posts: 6 New User

same problem...
    Do you think the solution is to update BIOS ?
    Did you find a new version ?

Thanks

• casrtt

Have found no solution yet to the problem. Was hoping someone here has. All the driver packages for the 4000 series which have the functions needed are legacy. Perhaps a way of installing them in windows 7 compatability mode. Drivers are needed for the 4000 which supplies the standard VGA graphics and the software in the package switches in the 5000 when needed. The default microsoft driver will just give the incorrect screen resolution. I know that if you remove all the ATI stuff first with, the latest Guru3d uninstaller, it has a function that prevents windows update from installing new drivers. I believe that Acer say that this model only supports windows 7 as no updated software was released when windows 8 came along. However people have managed to get 8.1 working.

• skebew

okay...
    I hope someone is going to (quickly) find a EASY solution...  even if Acer doesn't move.... Smiley Sad

or I'll reinstall Windows 7...

Thanks for your answers and ideas

• casrtt

If you still have windows 10 installed, I do not as reverted back to windows 7, you can try this out. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_devices/how-to-install-and-update-drivers-in-windows-10/a97bbbd1-9973-4d66-9a5b-291300006293 Shows how to run stuff in compatability mode. You need to install the legacy 4000 series package from the AMD site for the ATI Power express and vision control panel.You may need to run  guru3d to remove existing software first http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html. The guy who got it to work in windows 8.1 used drivers from 2012. First installing the 5650 series with custom install not installing vision control, then install the whole package for the 4250.The most upto date 5650 may be ok as that does not have vision control in it. But the legacy driver is required for the 4250.If you do try it I would recommend turning off your internet connection to stop windows update jumping in with driver updates before you get it running in compatability mode.

• skebew

Doesn't look as easy as expected ...   Smiley Frustrated

I going to read all these links and try your process (tomorrow)

Thanks

• shawnholl
    shawnholl Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi everyone.

I just upgraded my aspire 5553 to windows 10 and everything is working apart from the dvd drive.It is listed in device manager under other devices and wont install any drivers or anything. it is not listed in my computer or anywhere. any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks! shawn.

• roys

not sure if its a hardware fault or another result of the upgrade but the laptop now runs very hot and the fan is really working hard. Anyone else seeing this?

• skebew

Yes. My laptop is very hot too since the win10 update...

• casrtt

Shawnholl how did you get it to work with windows 10, have you got the correct screen resolution? I would guess that the hot running is due to missing control software, the ATI Power-Xpress and AMD Vision Control Center. As for the DVD drive, you could try turning off, remove battery, disconnect DVD drive. Put battery back, restart, then shut down. Remove battery, reconnect DVD drive, replace battery and restart. With a bit of luck Windows 10 will see it as a new device and install it for you. If you have the laptop plugged in don't forget to turn that off as well as removing the battery.

• vladavirus
    vladavirus Member Posts: 2 New User

I solved the problem by choosing in the bios discrete graphics instead of switchable graphics. If you don't have this settings then update the bios and set the discrete graphics. This way windows doesn't see the internal graphics but who cares Smiley Happy

• skebew

Great and easy solution !

Display is working fine now !

BUT NOW...

What should I do to make the touchtap fully functional ?

• casrtt

Is it running hot with the HD5650 on all the time? 

The touch pad uses Synaptics Touchpad driver perhaps updating that will resolve your issues.

• vladavirus
    vladavirus Member Posts: 2 New User

My laptop is already very hot, and when i had windows 8 i had it on max perfomance, but i don't notice any difference now Smiley Happy

• skebew

Touch pad resolved with à Synaptics driver for an other Aspire, for Windows 8.1.

I'll see in the few days if this solution is good (seams to be an evaluation copy of the drivers..?..)

• Bartul
    Bartul Member Posts: 2 New User

Has anyone had this problem? After I upgraded Windows 10 and tried to open most applications just like this emerge as the photo. I tried restar explorer.exe file in Task Manager but it did not work... explorer.exe/element not foundUntitled.png

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,625 Trailblazer

Often that type of error reflects a missing .NET framework version or a missing Visual Studio Runtime version. If you can figure out which app is causing it, you can reinstall to get the files back.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.