No operating system detected.

Options
vinnvin
vinnvin Member Posts: 6 New User
I'm using a v5 571pg
I had reformatted my hdd on another desktop and windows is running fine on the desktop and another laptop.
Each time I turn on the laptop after placing the hdd back. I get no operating system detected. I have a broken keyboard so im using an external one. No function key. However I tried f2 bios f12 for startup boot. And the alt f10 for recovery. I figured it won't work cause all my partition is empty and just with the windows installed.
Unable to enter bios. Removed cmos battery. Nothing worked. No luck at all even after hours of trying.

I've read about erecovery. Do I buy the disk and partition it into a part of my hdd? Or boot with the disk. Cause I've no way to boot from anything

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you formatted the HDD and installed windows using another PC or you just formatted and trying to boot from the laptop?

if you did both....it's normal that's not working, expecially the second option, since nothing is bootable.

EDIT: in the first option, it depends if the other PC/laptop has UEFI or old BIOS and hardware is different too.

the only way to have your laptop back, is to re-install OS.

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • vinnvin
    Options
    Installed from another PC because even while the laptop was still running it wouldn't boot from my flash drive nor enter bios at any point unless I went to advance settings etc* which I'm unable to now
    The HDD has a running OS now which is running on my PC if I plug it in..

So by reinstalling the os. How do I do it with that disk? I've read around and people has been saying its just a blank disk
  • IronFly
    Options

what OS had your V5?

• vinnvin
    Options
    Before reformatting it on another PC.
    I had windows 8
  • IronFly
    Options

So your V5 has UEFI, you can't install windows from another PC and simply put back an HDD, especially if the other PC/laptop doesn't have UEFI, since the windows boot manager need to be tied to UEFI.

one thing you can try is, use a windows 8 DVD to try to boot or create an USB flash drive but UEFI compatible.

if you want to create a bootable UEFI USB flash drive, i suggest your Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

select GPT-UEFI on partition scheme or MBR-UEFI.

• vinnvin
    Options
    Thanks I'll give it a go.
    Guessing it works with W10 too?
  • IronFly
    Options

Yes it will work with windows 10 too but....don't do a clean install or you will loose the windows 8.x to windows 10 key upgrade/activation.

you can do it, only after the windows 10 upgrade and you can use the reset option on windows 10.

• vinnvin
    Options
    Alright. So the steps are.

Using Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.
    Then plug my laptop's HDD to my PC
    And install it again?
    Do I have to enter bios to change anything to UEFI or smt?
  • vinnvin
    Options
    Edit.

Do I have to enter bios on my PC to change anything to UEFI or smt?

Since I can't even access anything else than post to operating system not found on the laptop.
  • IronFly
    Options

Using Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive.
    Then plug my laptop's HDD to my PC

Plug the USB created with Rufus and try boot from that
    Install windows

No changes needed on BIOS.