Acer Aspire V7-582PG very slow after upgrade to Windows 10 - ExpressCache not working

Options
RT-V7-582PG
RT-V7-582PG Member Posts: 4 New User

Upgrade my Acer Aspire V7-582PG to Windows 10.

Startup and main windows events are very slow.

The caching SSD is not used at all.

I checked and I noticed that the ExpressCache software is removed during the upgrade to Windows 10. The folder "C:\Program Files\Condusiv Technologies\" is empty and the background service is gone.

Tried to reïnstall an old version of the ExpressCache software (1.0.94), but Windows 10 is actively blocking this software and won't let me install this.

Anyone have this working? Or contacted Acer Support about this problem? 

Answers

• mattb425
    mattb425 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem. Have installed the Intel Rapid Share from the downloads page and still nothing.

• IGilkes
    IGilkes Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Hi,

I too am having the exact same issue.

The issue lies in the fact that ExpressCache can not be installed on windows10.

I have attempted to use the files from my windows 8 installation to re-install, however, windows10 tells me it is not compatible with this version of windows.

Other manufacturers have provided a work around, and released a patched version of ExpressCache for people to download.

It would be helpful of Acer to do the same - I have attempted to install many different combinations of IRST & ExpressCache to no avail.

The only current workaround (which does not give the same boost) is to format the SSD and use it with Windows ReadyBoost and place the virtual page file on here - but this does not have the same performance benefits.

Additionally, ExpressCache by Diskeeper prolongs the life of your HD by minimising fragmentation amongst other goodies.

I really do hope that Acer release a patched ExpressCache / IRST combo soon.... NUDGE NUDGE Acer Smiley Wink

• IGilkes
    Options

Hi,

I too am having the exact same issue.

The issue lies in the fact that ExpressCache can not be installed on windows10.

I have attempted to use the files from my windows 8 installation to re-install, however, windows10 tells me it is not compatible with this version of windows.

Other manufacturers have provided a work around, and released a patched version of ExpressCache for people to download.

It would be helpful of Acer to do the same - I have attempted to install many different combinations of IRST & ExpressCache to no avail.

The only current workaround (which does not give the same boost) is to format the SSD and use it with Windows ReadyBoost and place the virtual page file on here - but this does not have the same performance benefits.

Additionally, ExpressCache by Diskeeper prolongs the life of your HD by minimising fragmentation amongst other goodies.

I really do hope that Acer release a patched ExpressCache / IRST combo soon.... NUDGE NUDGE Acer Smiley Wink

(I have logged this with Acer Support and hope to get a resolution ASAP!

• IGilkes
    Options

Hi IronFly

Thanks for your assistance, sadly this is one of the earlier solutions I have tried, however - still not working.

ExpressCache does install with this particular installer - however, running 'ECCmd.exe -info' in admin command prompt gives me a result: 

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>eccmd.exe -info
    ExpressCache Command Version 1.0.98.0
    Copyright® 2010-2012 Condusiv Technologies.
    Date Time: 8/4/2015 18:21:20:278 (REDACTED-PC #0)

ExpressCache Driver is not installed.

**ERROR** ECCmd exited with error 0x1 (1)

Really starting to struggle with this now.

As I see it I need the following programmes installed to go ahead:

IRST (Intel Rapid Storage Technology)

ExpressCache

Intel Rapid Start Technology

It seems Acer have dropped the ball on this one, with other manufactures already aware of the issue, and providing solutions.

Acer do not seem to be aware, I have submitted a support ticket here in the UK, and I am really hoping I have missed something and they have a fix or workaround already.

This is quite poor on Acer's part - I have always enjoyed their products, and been loyal to Acer, however this is starting to make me question whether they are just a tech vendor rather than LTS provider too! Smiley Sad

• RT-V7-582PG
    Options

I tried the solution as suggested by IronFly, but with a newer ExpressCache installer.

Unfortunatly it's not working.

The results are:

C:\Program Files\Condusiv Technologies\ExpressCache>eccmd -info
    ExpressCache Command Version 1.3.110.0
    Copyright® 2010-2013 Condusiv Technologies.
    Date Time: 8/4/2015 21:46:9:306 (NOTEBOOK #0)

ExpressCache Driver is not installed.

**ERROR** ECCmd exited with error 0x1 (1)

I've asked Acer support (in the Netherlands) for help. In my opinion it should be as easy as providing the right Windows 10 compatible installers for ExpressCache and Intel Rapid Start.

• IGilkes
    Options

I have received an incredibly poor response from Acer, who it would seem have not even looked into this issue:

Extremely poor on their part.

My response:
    Given that Acer have already agreed on the website that my Acer Aspire V7-581PG is supported for an upgrade, why are you telling me to go to an Independent hardware Vendor? Furthermore, who is this independent hardware vendor?

ExpressCache is a piece of software, provided to Acer by a company called Diskeeper and then modified and distributed by Acer - so in this respect - Acer is the Vendor which is why I have come to you for support.

It saddens me that you are not offering a solution, and don't really seem to have investigated my issue at all before responding.

Naughty Acer!!

• RT-V7-582PG
    Options

I also received a response from Acer support. Translated to EN:

We currently support only upgrade using the automatic upgrade offered by Microsoft.
    I can unfortunately not help you with this problem.
    I hope to have enough information so provided.

This because I've initiated the upgrade using the download tool from Microsoft. The result of the upgrade is the same as using the Automatic upgrade. 

Very poor support from Acer! I think is rude to end a support call with this excuse.

As a customer I was expecting at least some effort from Acer support to troubleshoot this issue.  I am disappointed.

• RT-V7-582PG
    Options

An update regarding my problem with Acer V7 being very slow after upgrading to Windows 10 ...

After the poor support from Acer I decided to take my own measures. Here is what I did:

• I created a bootable USB with the Win10 Media Creation Tool.
    • Then replaced the Kingston 22GB SSD with a Samsung 850 mSATA 250 GB SSD
    • Disconnected the old HDD drive
    • Changed the boot order in the BIOS
    • Did a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD.
    • Skipped all the activation steps during install
    • Connected to the internet after install
    • Windows 10 actived itself
    • All drivers (including Nvidia) did install automatically
    • Connected the old HDD drive as D: to access existing files

Results:

• Boot time reduced from 5 minutes to 10 seconds!!!
    • No lags, everything is very responsive
    • Finnaly got rid of all the Acer bloatware

The whole procedure took me 90mins. Of course reinstalling all my software and setting my preferences will take more time ;-]

I wish I had done this sooner.

• IGilkes
    Options
    Well, this doesn't look so good.
    Many other manufacturers have already noticed the problem, listened to their users and updated a release already!!

I have opted for PrimoCache as a replacement for Expresscache, but I am sad Acer dropped the ball on this one.

Having seen some stunning issue management with other companies I think I may choose more wisely next time I buy a laptop and choose on of the other top manufacturers that actually listen to and support their users!!
  • Assemblerize
    Assemblerize Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Try this vertion of EC.

If it still says "ExpressCache Driver is not installed" try to install it manually

Go to bellow paths: 

C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\ExpressCache\excfs

and 

C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\ExpressCache\excsd

right click on the *.inf file (you need to make file extensions visible in explorer) and choose install in both folders

Hope it helps