Windows 10 Factory Settings/Recovery Partion Question

BookHog92
BookHog92 Member Posts: 14 New User

I have a question, I upgraded my Aspire E 17 laptop to Windows 10 2 days ago. would there be a way to put my computer back to factory settings with the Acer Recovery Management no longer working. And I noticed that i have a recovery partion that is 14 GB, Would that be Window 10 in the recovery partion or Window 8.1 in that Partion

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the 14GB recovery is Acer stock recovery, so windows 8.1 recovery.

instead of using Acer erecovery software, have you tried to press ALT+F10 at boot and choose to reset your PC?

or try this:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-8-3615606/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BookHog92
    BookHog92 Member Posts: 14 New User

I really don't want to reset my computer because i like windows 10, But at a later time after the month is up, when i can longer go back to window 8.1. what would happen to the Acer stock recovery, Because from what i read online windows 10 doesn't come with stock recovery

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can revert to windows 8.1 even after a month but.....you will need a new prodcut key, since the old windows 8.1 key will be swtiched to windows 10.

windows 10 has its own recovery, but without all the Acer drivers and software.

• Mehdi
    Mehdi Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi BookHog92,

With regards to the Acer recovery Management, you don't have to worry about it if it's not installed in your laptop or it doesn't like to work anymore; because you still can use the manual option to restart your laptop/computer to the Factory Settings; you can check this link where I did explain before how to fix this problem and for sure it will work for you as it can help all users whose using Windows 8/8.1 & 10 :

Click here : How to Reset your Acer Lapotop/Computer to Factory Settings

Or by following the instruction below which is almost the same :

Step 1: Refresh your desktop and click on : Ctrl+Alt+Del

Pic1.png

Step 2: Click on the power button; the menu will show you: Sleep | Restart | Shutdown : You hold the shift button on your keyboard and you press the Restart option and don't release the shift key until it open for you another window.

pic2.png

Step 3: Now you release the shift key and you click on Reset your PC.

Step 2+.png

Step 4: Now you click next and you will be directed to the same step of choosing which method of reset you want:

Step 3+.png

After that you choose the fully clean option to reset your PC to the factory settings however make sure before you do all this steps to copy or transfer your files to an external HDD because this operation will erase all you files and data.

Best regards,

Mehdi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If i was helpful to you, please give a KUDOS is appreciated and please mark "Accept as Solution", if that solved your problem.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

@Mehdi

I'm not sure if the method you described to reset to factory defaults will work since Windows 10 has been installed, even if the windows 7/8 recovery partition is still intact.  I can tell you that it did not work with Windows 10 Technical Preview.  To the best of my knowledge, the "Go back to windows 7/8" method in the screenshot below is the only method that will work.  (Of course you can still use a factory default recovery drive/discs if you made one prior to upgrading to Windows 10 or purchase a factory default recovery drive/discs from Acer). 

rollback.JPG

• JordanB

And the "Go Back to windows 7/8 " method is only valid for 30 days. After 30 days, I think you'll need to use your USB recovery drive/discs or purchase your factory default recovery discs from Acer (or possibly restore an old system image backup).

• Mehdi
    Mehdi Member Posts: 8 New User

@JordanB,

Actually I've tried it on my personal computer and indeed it did work for me however I'm not sure if it will works on computers who has the recovery partition damaged already.

Refering to what BookHog92 said on his/her inquiry, I believe it will be usful for him/her both methods mine and yours but ofcours he need to try first than we will know what we can do to help him/her better Smiley Happy

Thank you for your remark.

Best regards,

Mehdi

• JordanB

@Mehdi

thanks for the confirmation that you've tested your method and it works!

• zzzDamian
    zzzDamian Member Posts: 1 New User

1 i have no passwords

2 i  tried to press ALT+F10

and when i start the reset i says not enough space....

any ideas????