Internet Connection Issue from a Distance

azayaka
azayaka Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi. So for a few weeks now I've been having really awful internet connection issues. I haven't changed the layout of my room, the distance to the router or anything at all in my environment. I haven't downloaded any new software. My computer had installed all updates. I've checked and rechecked my settings. My roommates aren't having a problem with internet speed. My phone is also connecting just fine. When I sit right next to the modem internet speed is great, exactly what it should be, 18bps, which is in the range of what I pay for. As I move away it drops till at about 6 feet away its at 5bps and further than that its less than 1bps download speed. This happens in my own home, but also at my parent's house. At my boyfriend's house I didn't have to be next to the router but he pays for a much faster connection speed. He was getting about 85bps download speed while I was getting 50bps.

I've scanned for viruses, all clear. I've spent about 2 hours on the phone with an AT&T tech and everything is fine with the router, no detectable problems on their end. 

I have a V5 Aspire with Intel Core I5. The laptop is about 2 years old and was a refurbished model which has not given me any internet connection problems till now. Haven't had any issues with wifi service from AT&T either until now. The problems seemed to coincide with new neighbors moving in next door. Tried changing our network password just to be safe but it didn't fix anything. And again, my roommate's devices and my phone are not have connection issues. 

This leads me to conclude there is a hardware issue or issue with the driver that connects me to the internet. I'm not very savvy with these things so please tell me because I'm desperate. What do I do? Do I have no choice but to take it in for service?

Answers