Can Windows 7 be installed on Acer Switch 10?

SumGuy
SumGuy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives
I can buy a refurbished Acer Switch Sw5-012-19Rc Qc (which I think is an Acer Switch 10) for the equivalent of $215 USD. What i want to know is: 1) Are there Windows 7 drivers available for this thing? 2) Can the internal "hard drive" (if it has one) be removed and/or replaced with a larger one? Can more ram be added if I take it apart? Basically, if it's at all possible, I would like to upgrade the ram and internal storage, and would not be afraid to take the thing apart to do it. But Windows 8 is just stupid so I am not interested in this thing at all unless it can run Windows 7 (and all internal components are functional under win-7, like wifi, bluetooth, usb, etc). Well?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

There are no drivers for the chipset on Windows 7, so you'll loose out on things like cooling if you try to install Windows 7. It will update to Windows 8.1 and 10 though, so no need to stay stuck with 8.

You can upgrade the drive via the keyboard, but not the main board drive or the memory.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SumGuy
    SumGuy Member Posts: 2 New User
    > There are no drivers for the chipset on Windows 7 Is the Switch chipset not Bay Trail? There seems to be many bay trail based motherboards with Win-7 drivers. What exactly is the chipset in the Switch 10?