Acer Aspire E1-572 Network Adapter

BeczN
BeczN Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi,

I got my Acer Aspire E1-572 computer sometime in 2014 and it has been fine for my use in photo editing and such, it can be a bit sluggish at times but otherwise runs relatively okay. It's a model with intel i7 so I really did have high expectations for it but recently it has driven me beyond the brink of frustration. The internet is abysmal.

I should probably first highlight that I am absolutely useless when it comes to computer jargon. I have done my research, read around the problem but have not yet found anything that has conclusively solved my problem or been possible for me to understand, let alone do. I'm primarily a mac user nowadays and windows 8.1 is my idea of a nightmare. However, as I do like to use the Acer now and then, more so recently, I cannot really let this issue continue otherwise I'm sitting there with an expensive computer that really is more hassle than it's worth. 

My home internet runs fine for all other devices and it is not an issue whereby the Acer cannot find the wi-fi, it's there nice and clear, but untilising it is near impossible. I have 3/5 bars of internet so would expect at least some kind of feedback from it. It will sort of chug along for a little while, then load, then stop working or just not load at all. For this model lots of people seem to go on about configuring the power management settings, which I did and perhaps there was a tiny (??) bit of improvement but I certainly wasn't jumping for joy. The internet is still one step forwards, two steps back. Any and all other advice just went straight over my head, it means nothing to me.

It's hard to recall as it has never been my 'browsing' computer, but I do think when I first got it, I did not have this problem. It might not have been winning any races with speed but it did actually work. I wondered if perhaps the update from windows 8 to 8.1 had thrown a spanner in the works, but it's utter speculation on my part.

So I come on to drivers, wondering if that was the issue as a lot of people mention it in various forums. Similarly, I know nothing of this. I used the acer drivers search to find compatible drivers for my model:

Wireless LAN: Atheros (Wireless LAN Driver - WLAN+BT Driver) Version 10.0.0.285

Wireless LAN: Atheros (Wireless LAN Driver) Version 10.0.0.263

Wireless LAN: Atheros (Wireless LAN Driver - WLAN+Bluetooth Driver) Version 10.0.0.263

Wireless LAN: Broadcom (Wireless LAN Driver) Version 6.30.223.170

Great... except I dont know which I need (or if I need them at all) what one to download and what to do with it when I've endured the painstaking download process. 

I would rather not have to take it back to the store, it is always a massive hassle and hopefully it's something that can actually be fixed at home.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated (especially if it's something I can understand) as I'm getting close to desperation with the cursed thing!

Thanks. 

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Hi,

press windows key logo + x

choose Device Manager

click on Network adapters

Please report your network adapters model

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • BeczN
    Hi,

It says:
    Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter.

Is this what you wanted?
  • IronFly

Perfect, download this:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/func-startdown/1556/

(100% trustable website)

and install it, reboot and try your wifi.

• BeczN
    I went to access the page but ran into certain hurdles, firstly it appeared in a completely different language so I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting, also my network protection is flagging it as unreliable - due to recent trouble with unwanted computer viruses I'm slightly dubious about using any unofficial links - please don't take this in the wrong way! Can it be acquired from the acer website or somewhere similarly official?
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

Try this from the Acer support:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Wireless%20LAN/Wireless%20LAN_Atheros_10.0.0.285_W81x64_A.zip?acerid=635543237785528432&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E1-572&OS=81P1&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

by the way the other link has a newer driver and i suggested that website to a lot of users without any troubles. Smiley Happy

• BeczN
    Thank you - I really do appreciate the help. My lack of technical knowhow always makes me wary, but at the end of the day I really want to solve this bothersome issue.
    It's downloading now, may take a little while, will it present in Zip format and/or will I need to do anything specific with it to make it effective?
  • IronFly
    The Acer download is zip file, need to be unzipped and then run the exe (setup or install) inside the unzipped folder.
  • BeczN
    Hooray! I downloaded, unzipped, installed and restarted, which all went pretty smoothly and I have already seen a massive improvement in internet speed and loading success - it even let me watch Netflix! Let's hope it lasts.
    Thank you so much for all your help and sparing the too confusing computer talk. Many kudos coming your way!
  • IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• summymike14
    summymike14 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi. How can I do this? I have unzipped the files but nothing gives me the option to 'run' anything. All I get is lots of technical jargon. Any help would be massively appreciated. I really am a novice at this. 

• Hi,

Open the unzipped folder, Open Install_CD and right click"Setup.exe", select "Run As Admin".

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• robbles
    robbles Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

Im having similar wifi issues with my Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter.

Can you help?

Thank you.