Remove Windows Bootloader or at least set a different default loader (UEFI)

Psy-Q
Psy-Q Member Posts: 7 New User

I have been trying to remove the Windows Bootloader or at least set it to be the last thing in the list of UEFI loaders to try via the Acer BIOS. Nothing sticks. Every time I reboot, no matter which bootloader I have set, it will just reset to using the Windows Bootloader and try to load something that isn't there. I've removed the Windows and the recovery partitions since I don't need them.

I also installed rEFInd and it sets itself as default boot manager at the end of installation. However, as soon as I reboot, something in the Acer BIOS (I guess?) is taking over control again and forcing the Windows Bootloader entry to first place.

rEFInd and Grub both work fine if I select them using F12 during boot, but I want one of them to be the default. How can I get this to stick and get rid of the Windows Bootloader?

Best Answer

• Psy-Q
    Answer ✓

I solved it! I had to switch Secure Boot on so that I could get to the option "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" (otherwise it would be grayed out). Then I navigated to the rEFInd bootloader and Debian's grubx64. I added both, then switched OFF Secure Boot. For some reason they still stayed in the boot priority list and I could now move them up.

There might still be bits of the Microsoft loader left, but I don't care because now the correct loader gets called first. Wheee! The BIOS version is 1.08 and I would like to install 1.13 anyway. It seems that only works with Windows, though, the BIOS can't upgrade itself from inside the BIOS, huh?

Edit: Found the InsydeFlash tool. I'll try that. Edit2: Hrm, that's some closed source thing that they sell at ridiculous prices. So I guess I won't be upgrading the BIOS.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you tried to disable Secure Boot on BIOS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Psy-Q

Yes, SecureBoot is disabled. I don't think I've even had it enabled before.

• IronFly

in my opinion, if it's trying to use Windows boot loader, because is still here.

have you completly wiped your HDD before puttin any other OS?

if you enter BIOS and look at Priority Boot list (not F12), any other bootloader appears on list?

can you please post your laptop model?

• Psy-Q

At least the parts of the bootloader that I could get to are gone, I deleted the recover partition at the start of the disk (it was sda1 when I looked at it) and the larger one at the end (it was sda7). Then I moved the Microsoft directory away from EFI/Microsoft so it can't be found. I'm not sure what piece of the BIOS or the UEFI system is still pointing at this bootloader, but I'd like it to point somewhere else Smiley Sad

The priority boot list can be set to anything, I can put rEFInd in there for example and two reboots later the Windows loader will be set as top priority again.

Changing the boot order using e.g. efibootmgr didn't work either, after one reboot they are back to "Windows Bootloader" first and everything else later.

The model is a VN7-591G-796V (Aspire V Nitro Black Edition).

Edit: For some reason I can't find the boot list that lists valid EFI loaders in the BIOS anymore. I can find the boot priority list, but there I can only say that the built-in SSD is in number 1. I can't select which of the 3 loaders to use (I'm assuming the BIOS sees 3 because it keeps wanting to boot the Microsoft loader that isn't there anymore).

• IronFly

Something is wrong on EFI bootloaders if they doesn't appear.

what's your BIOS version?

• Psy-Q
    Answer ✓

I solved it! I had to switch Secure Boot on so that I could get to the option "Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing" (otherwise it would be grayed out). Then I navigated to the rEFInd bootloader and Debian's grubx64. I added both, then switched OFF Secure Boot. For some reason they still stayed in the boot priority list and I could now move them up.

There might still be bits of the Microsoft loader left, but I don't care because now the correct loader gets called first. Wheee! The BIOS version is 1.08 and I would like to install 1.13 anyway. It seems that only works with Windows, though, the BIOS can't upgrade itself from inside the BIOS, huh?

Edit: Found the InsydeFlash tool. I'll try that. Edit2: Hrm, that's some closed source thing that they sell at ridiculous prices. So I guess I won't be upgrading the BIOS.

• IronFly

Good to hear it!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If you ever decide to update BIOS, you can create a clean copy of Windows 8.1 from link below.  Since your PC came pre-installed with windows 8.1, the windows key is stored on the BIOS/motherboard....so no need to enter a key.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• Psy-Q

JordanB wrote:

If you ever decide to update BIOS, you can create a clean copy of Windows 8.1 from link below.  Since your PC came pre-installed with windows 8.1, the windows key is stored on the BIOS/motherboard....so no need to enter a key.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Thanks, that seems to be a Windows program, though. Are there maybe any raw disk images I could blockwise copy to a USB stick? Or an ISO? I'm not familiar with how Windows works in this regard and if there are USB-bootable bare bones Windows that you can use for just such a thing. The stuff I found about it requires a running Windows and creating a PE environment, I think that's too crass, just a bootable ISO would be nice.

I wonder why Acer doesn't make it so that the BIOS itself includes a flashing tool that lets you pick a file from a USB stick, like other manufacturers do? It seems cumbersome having to rely on some specific OS being present just to flash a megabyte or two of BIOS, when the BIOS itself is completely independent of the OS.

• IronFly

the download will let you choose if you want to save it as .iso

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Yes, your BIOS update is a windows application.  I wouldn't recommend trying to update your BIOS unless you first install windows on your computer....as it would be too risky to do it any other way......and not worth the risk. 

But the link I gave you allows you to install windows via USB and it gives you an option for ISO....and burning to DVD.

So I guess you could install windows again, update your BIOS, and then remove WIndows.  It shouldnt take that long.  But if you don't have a windows computer, you will have to ask a friend with a windows computer to make/create that USB/DVD (from that link).

• Psy-Q

IronFly wrote:

the download will let you choose if you want to save it as .iso

Hmm, where do I find that? The link I saw there seem to offer only an .exe. Do you have to run the .exe on Windows to get to download anything?

I won't reinstall Windows, I don't really want to read and agree to all their terms since I don't need to normally use that software. It's a bit of a hassle if you can only upgrade the BIOS with just one specific OS, but since Acer ship it with the computer and probably expect people to agree to those terms, I guess it's understandable from their perspective.

Still, a BIOS-only flasher tool or a bootable ISO I can dd to a stick would be cooler. I can remember some PC I bought years and years ago that already had that feature (it had some ASUS motherboard), I wonder why it's not standard to have a flasher in your bios these days Smiley Sad

It's no big issue, the old BIOS seems to work now that I found out how to trick it into showing the entries Smiley Happy

• IronFly

Psy-Q wrote:

Hmm, where do I find that? The link I saw there seem to offer only an .exe. Do you have to run the .exe on Windows to get to download anything?

yes.

• Psy-Q

IronFly wrote:

Psy-Q wrote:

yes.

Ah, I don't use Windows so that won't work, then Smiley Happy  Thanks anyhow! Looking at more details about Acer's lineup to find out if they have any machines with a flasher built into the BIOS, that will be important next time I buy a new machine.