need help retrieving original windows product key

Options
fo
fo Member Posts: 4 New User

hello, i'm a newbie here and i need help retrieving the original windows product key of this aspire V5-431p which was given to me as a gift from a friend..it was purchased in germany and so has german language..and so without thinking about the windows product key, i reformatted it only to realized i really do need it..when i contacted my friend and asked him about it he said he doesn't know anything about these stuffs..so can acer trace the original product key of this laptop if i provide the laptop's serial number? help would really be appreciated..

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if it had windows 8.x, you don't need the product key since it's embedded on BIOS, just install using a windows 8.x DVD media.

Acer can't give you the product key from the serial number.

if you need the original Acer installation:

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • fo
    Options

thank you ironfly for that prompt reply..my problem is i dont have a windows dvd installer and so i need to get it online from microsoft..but everytime i use their media creation tool i cannot move past the licensing part..i need to provide a valid product key..hope you understand my dilemma..

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

When you use the media creation tool, which one are you using?  Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 SL (single language)?  Or windows 8.1 pro?  Are you using the correct version?

I use "belarc advisor" for key or you can use nirisoft ProduKey.  Although I think it would be a mistake to enter a key, because you shouldn't need a key and you might make matters worse.

Did the computer come with Windows 7 pre-installed?  Or windows 8.1?

Why did you format the drive?

Did you use the recovery software?

Have you tried using alt-f10 at the acer screen when you turn on the computer?

Edit:  Try all three of the versions 8.1, 8.1 SL, 8.1 pro.

Again, I wouldn't enter a key.  When you use the Microsoft media creation tool, it will automatically retreive the Acer OEM Windows 8.1 key from the motherboard....assuming you've selected the correct Windows 8.1 version for the media creation tool, and your computer came pre-installed with windows 8 or 8.1.

• fo
    Options

acer's drivers download page classified my laptop as having windows 8 64bit so i guess that's the pre-installed OS..that's why i needed to downgrade my present OS - which is windows 8.1 - to windows 8 and the only way i know to do that is with microsoft's windows 8 set up tool..that's when a product key is needed

• fo
    Options

sorry not downgrade since i installed it with 8.1..i mean change the os from 8.1 to 8

• JordanB
    Options

Your Windows 8 key should work with Microsoft Windows 8.1 media creation tool.

Microsoft doesn't want people to downgrade......which is why they only offer 8.1 on the media creation tool.

Did you try all three versions?   Windows 8.1?  Windows 8.1 SL?  Windows 8.1 Pro.

• JordanB
    Options
  • JordanB
    Options

I would hold off on entering those keys I gave you.

Read this article.  It says your windows 8 key should work.

"Update: More investigation and further testing have brought to light some interesting information about PCs that came with Windows 8.0 instead of Windows 8.1. Windows restore media created with the Windows Installation Media Creation Tool will install and activate just fine on systems that shipped with Windows 8.0 and include a Windows 8.0 SLP key in their BIOS."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/02/save-yourself-from-your-oems-bad-decisions-with-a-clean-install-of-windows-8-1/

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options