CB3-111 webcam looks terrible?

stlhood
stlhood Member Posts: 2 New User

My new CB3-111 is great in so many ways, but one shortcoming is rather shocking: the webcam quality is *terrible*. When using it for a Google Hangout, it looks like it is applying a filter, almost like an impressionistic painting. It's not just on my end — the other people in the Hangout can see it too, and it's striking and looks terrible. I see the same effect in the ChromeOS Camera app, so it's not something specific to Hangouts.

I've actually seen this on two different CB3-111 Chromebooks, so I don't think it's a one-off defect.

What are people's experiences with the CB3-111 webcam? Am I alone here??

Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

I have actually never used the webcam on my C720P, but often when the picture looks really grainy it's related to light levels. Try it with brighter light to see if it improves. If the CCD inside is a bit misaligned or if there is something obscuring a portion of it, it could act like light levels are low.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stlhood
    stlhood Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply. The camera is definitely grainy in low light, but the issue I'm reporting is separate from that. In all lighting conditions, it looks like a filter has been applied! It's a glaring issue and I'm hoping others have experienced the same thing....

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

If you shine a bright light into the camera lens, can you see if anything is obstructing it? There's one more thing I just thought of... The stock camera app has an icon in the bottom left that allow you to select from a range of effects. Make sure you are set to 'normal'.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.