just had MB replaced in my VN7-791G do i have to redo my 32gb image

jellyfiss
jellyfiss Member Posts: 14 New User

i bought my laptop in february and a week last friday it had to go back to PC WORLD for repair as some of the keys stopped working ... I had a call from a technician who had  to put a new motherboard in my laptop , he said he needed my password to get past the welcome screen because he had to re-activate my windows 8.1 because the activation key for windows 8 is stored on the motherboard and not the hdd . When i bought my laptop i saved my image for recovery onto a 32gb drive ( i actually reformatted a usb 320gb drive and did it ) . My question is , if i get a problem whereby i need to re-install my windows 8 , will it still work from my usb hdd which had the image on before the new motherboard was put in , or will i now have to try and redo the 32gb image because my activation key is different .....

Oh by the way , i do not have the hidden partion anymore , so i cant do the 32gb image if i need to now it has a new motherboard , so where do i stand , as it is not my fault it had to have a new motherboard

Answers

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder

Hi jellyfiss,

I would say that you might be able to use that image you created on the USB drive initially but I think you might have problems with activation due to the new MB and new license. What I recommended is to create a new recovery disc with and it will save the new license installed for the new MB so that you don’t have complications in the future.

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• jellyfiss

i picked my laptop up this evening and thought everything was gonna be fine , when i got it home , i had to take it back because the laptop wouldnt power up . 3rd repair in 5 months and i am annoyed as i couldnt get a replacement or money back after just over 2 weeks when it developed its first fault in february, as pcworld business told me i couldnt have replacement or money back ... when i took it back tonight they told me to tell acer aswell and i asked another question on the forum .... crazy

how can i make a new recovery disk when i have deleted the hidden partition , after all its not my fault the motherboard had to be replaced so why should i have to pay for new image , it is unfair , especially after all this trouble i have had

• jellyfiss

Well i just looked at the KNOWHOW site , where i am tracking the repair , and the replacement part is out of stock , so more waiting . I think due to all my problems i have had that i should of had a replacement . £900 quid is a lot of money to pay for something to be repaired 3 times in 5 months and it will always be in my mind when i get it back , thinking how long till it goes wrong again . Acer offered to take it in a repair but i declined because its been nearly 3 weeks now including the 1 hour or less i had it in my possession to find out it wouldnt power up .. I feel whoever fixes it , wont stop me worrying about when it will go wrong again . how would these people who run the show at knowhow and acer feel if it happened to them

• jellyfiss

found out it has been fitted with yet another board , same as last time 2 weeks ago a board and they told me it is fixed and tested ok yesterday and i have to just sit n wait till friday (3 days from yesterday) for them to send it to pcworld for me to pickup .......... after all the trouble i've had , i still have a 3 day wait .... a snail could get here faster