Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

[4820tg] Can I replace my harddrive and still keep the Windows license?

MattedattenMattedatten Posts: 2Member

Hey! A quick question, about an older laptop which still is alive.

Acer Aspire 4820TG

Windows 7 Home

Can I replace the harddrive and install Windows still?

I mean, I have burned out the recovery CDs or whatever Acer's software asked for when the computer was new. Can those be used to install Windows if I replace the current harddrive?

If so, how does the license work? I assume they can't be used on another computer, but can I reinstall however much I want on this one?

Thanks in advance!

And, this laptop is great. Going strong through its 4th year and the battery still pumps out ~4-5h when being conservative with the usage. Heh, the other parts are probably slowly dying though, including the harddrive.

Oh well.

Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 18,072 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer

Yes to all your questions.

you must use the recovery media you created, just double check they are still ok or create a new one, just in case.

about license, it's on BIOS as SLIC table, so you don't need to enter any serial and your windows will be activated automatically.

I'm not an Acer employee.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

FAQ & Answers

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 18,072ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer

Yes to all your questions.

you must use the recovery media you created, just double check they are still ok or create a new one, just in case.

about license, it's on BIOS as SLIC table, so you don't need to enter any serial and your windows will be activated automatically.

I'm not an Acer employee.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MattedattenMattedatten Posts: 2Member

That's great to hear, thanks for the quick reply! Have a kudo and whatever else this forum allows for good responses Smiley Wink