S5 Ultrabook won't charge

Options
sukyiii
sukyiii Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi fellow Acer users,

I bought an Acer Aspire S5 Ultrabook approximately 2 years ago. One day, the laptop stopped charging and I'm unsure if it's because of the adapter or some other internal problem within the laptop.

I have yet to purchase a multimeter to try out if the adapter is the issue, but plan to do so in the next couple days. In some instances, I've tweaked the plug a bit and it charged in certain orientations, but now, it doesn't charge no matter what I do. At this point, I don't know what else I can do except test the adapter with the multimeter, as the laptop is completely dead. 

Does anyone else have the same problem or any suggestions to figure out what could've gone wrong? 

Also, I'm a complete noob when it comes to laptop repairs and have only begun watching some Youtube videos to see what I can possibly do - explanations would be extremely helpful! 

Thanks everyone!

-sukyiii 

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    Since it charged in certain orientations the issue could to be with the AC adapter or charging port.
    Do you see any indicator lights glowing on your laptop when adapter is pluggedin  and wihout plugging adapter..

You can also perform a reset using the battery pinhole at the bottom of your computer.

Completely power OFF the computer. Disconnect the AC adapter.

Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds to reset the computer (simulates removing and reinstalling the battery). The battery reset pin hole would have battery symbol near the hole.

After power reset reconnect the AC adapter and check the laptop.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• sukyiii
    Options
    Thanks for your response, Sharanji! I have tried to perform the reset using the battery pinhole, but no response. There are no lights glowing on the laptop when I plug the adapter in and out.. Smiley Sad
  • GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

In this case, you can consider plugging in the adapter to a different power point to check if there is any issue with the current power point. If the issue resolves when the adapter is plugged in to a different power point, then there may be some issue with the power point that you were previously using.

If the issue still persists, consider using a different power adapter (if feasible) just to make sure if there is anything wrong with the power adapter you are currently using. If the battery charges on another power adapter, then there may be some issue with your current power adapter.

To check if there is any issue with your battery, remove the battery from the laptop and connect the laptop directly to the power adapter. If the computer works fine when connected directly without battery, then there may be some issue with the battery.

If the issue is still unresolved, then there may be some other hardware issue and you are advised to contact nearest Acer service center using the following link for further assistance:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Hope this will help you.

• sukyiii
    Options

Hi GuruAid-CS

I have tried plugging the laptop into different outlets and none have worked. At this point, I don't know anyone with a compatible adapter for the Ultrabook. 

By removing the battery, do you mean unscrewing it from the inside of the laptop? There isn't a bay to place the battery in and out. 

Thanks! 

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

In this scenario, you are advised to contact Acer support for further assistance by using the link mentioned in the previous post.

Hope this will help you.