Acer Recovery Management will not load! Does anyone know how I can sort this out please?

Jay3
Jay3 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi - I have an Aspire E5-511 Laptop with Windows 8.1, 64 bit.  

Although Acer Recovery Management icon shows in Applications, and brings up the window to permit changes to my computer, after a couple of blue swirls which briefly flash on the screen and disappear nothing further happens!  What is the solution please - I cannot understand why it will not load?

I am assuming that when I made the initial recovery USB for this laptop about 7 months ago, it did not automatically include a copy of the drivers?  It's only now when I need to clean my hard drive that I have been looking into this process and discover from one of the videos that there was an option to create a drivers backup. I need to know I have everything backed up and available to reinstate, and that I can rely on the Acer Recovery Management program to be there to do it!  

I am very much a novice user and finding all of this very confusing - please help!

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

as JordanB stated, the USB recovery you created has all, so no need to create a drivers backup.

if you want to create another USB recovery media and Acer erecovery is not working, you can use the windows USB media creation tool, it's the same that Acer erecovery use.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

by the way if your HDD is still ok, with all the original partitions, you can reset- reinstall windows without the need of USB media; just press ALT+F10 at boot and this will start the erecovery process.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    jay3,

When you made a recovery drive, the software automatically copied your recovery partition to the USB drive if you had the "copy recovery partition" box checked. The "copy recovery partition" box is checked by default (at least it was on mine).

The recovery partition contains everything. It contains the operating system, your drivers, your apps....the whole ball of wax..so to speak. So when you created the backup recovery drive, the software made sure you had everything you needed to restore your computer to factory condition. The Acer recovery management software also gives you an opportunity to create a DVD /USB of just the drivers and apps, That would allow you to cherry pick a single driver or app that you wanted to restore. It gives you the opportunity to just reinstall a single driver instead of having to restore the entire computer..for example.

If you click on my name, and read some of my recent posts, I've detailed the procedure that I took. In my situation, I first did a clean install of windows 8.1 using the Microsoft windows 8.1 recovery media. After I did that clean install of windows 8.1, I used the acer recovery USB drive that I made last August when I first bought this computer.

Now I'm not saying that there's not an easier method than the method that I used, I'm just saying that I can confirm that my procedure works as I have been able to reproduce it twice.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If you want to restore your computer to factory condition. First try to follow the instructions on the Acer website and in the Acer videos.

After you restore your computer to factory conditions following Acer instructions, you'll then be able to go back and make that Driver and App backup that you newly discovered.

My procedure is for those that are having trouble using the acer recovery drive and no longer have their recovery partition on the their hard drive.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

as JordanB stated, the USB recovery you created has all, so no need to create a drivers backup.

if you want to create another USB recovery media and Acer erecovery is not working, you can use the windows USB media creation tool, it's the same that Acer erecovery use.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

by the way if your HDD is still ok, with all the original partitions, you can reset- reinstall windows without the need of USB media; just press ALT+F10 at boot and this will start the erecovery process.

• Jay3

Thank you - laptop drive fully cleaned, factory reset, and working fine again.  Your helpful explanations have been much appreciated. 

• Jay3

Its great to have the laptop back up and running properly again after a full clean and factory reset.  The Acer Recovery Management tool itself still doesn't work for some reason but I have the Windows USB version now, thank you! 

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• KenOwsley62
    KenOwsley62 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Check in the system bios to see if it's disabled