Does installing an SSD void the warranty?

UrsaMajor
UrsaMajor Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have some questions about possibly installing an Intel 240GB 730 SSD into an Aspire E5-771G-79PN. I understand that the SSD itself obviously wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

• Does gaining access to the hard drives or installing one void the warranty on the laptop?
  • Do the E5-771G models generally have an appropriate spare slot for a 2.5" SSD in addition to the existing mechanical hard drive they already have? If not, would there be any issues replacing the existing hard drive with such an SSD and then reinstalling windows on it?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you will make the Acer erecovery media from the Acer erecovery software (on your HDD), you will able to re-install windows on the new SSD.

you will need at least 16GB on an USB flash media.

You will avoid warranty if any warranty sticker will be broken to open the E5 case; you need to unscrew 27 screws....

there's a Msata connection on your motherboard, it's just under/near the battery pack.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • UrsaMajor
    UrsaMajor Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the informative reply.

IronFly wrote:

You will avoid warranty if any warranty sticker will be broken to open the E5 case; you need to unscrew 27 screws....

So, I take it this means that voiding the warranty of the laptop is unavoidable when opening up the E5's case (to install an SSD) as the warranty sticker would be torn in the process?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i don't know if any warranty sticker is on the E5 cover to hide a screw, by the way this is Acer standard behaviour.

this is an official statement from Acer:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Does-it-void-my-warranty-if-I-open-my-product-case-or-add/ta-p/256758

if you are outside USA and Canada, i suggest you to call Acer customer service and ask.

I'm not an Acer employee.