S7 392-9439 RAM

Options
BigDataLilTime
BigDataLilTime Member Posts: 2 New User

I purchased a new S7 392-9439 with the 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and Intel's i7-4500U CPU.  for use while completing my masters in engineering.  I figured I'd be running a lot of data intensive programs and I wanted portability, so I went with this model.  Plus, I got a great deal from the Microsoft store online, and didn't get any of the usual bloat-ware.  While its been a great machine for use in school, I'm now working in big data, and I'm running humongous reports - exponentially bigger than my original intent.  

I now have 3 computers, and although the Acer is still the fastest and most-capable among them, I still need better data-crunching capability.  Before I go out and buy a desktop with 3+GHz and 16+GB RAM, I'd like to know if I'm able to upgrade the RAM in my 392?  Like I said, it has the 8GB, and I'd like to inrease it to 16 if I can.  

First and foremost, before I open the case and look around, is the RAM soldered to the board?  Or, can I simply switch it out?  

Second, if the RAM is soldered, I certainly won't attempt to change it.  But can I use some of the SSD to create a RAM Disk (I've read about it online, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not it will help)?  Would that positively or negatively affect its ability to crunch huge data sets? 

Thanks,

Best Answer

Answers