aspire 7745g latest bios

jazzkeyboardist
jazzkeyboardist Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I don't see a forum for Acer Laptops so I'm posting here.  If there is another forum more appropriate for Acer Aspire laptops, please advise.

I own an Acer Aspire 7756G.  Original battery began to fail some time ago but laptop worked ok with power supply.  Finally bought a cheapie battery online from some chinese outfit and installed it.  Windows showed an 'X' through the battery and the message 'no battery is detected' appears when hovering over the battery icon.  I got my money back for that battery and purchased another one from an american online store.  I seem to have the same problem again.

So I started researching the problem further and read all kinds of things to do from resetting BIOS back to factory defaults, to updating the BIOS to the latest version.  My current BIOS is at 1.00.  The acer Drivers and Manuals section of their website allows me to see driver updates, but when I click on the BIOS tab, the page errors out saying that the 'service is unavailable'.  I have seen on other websites that the most current version of BIOS for the Aspire 7745G is ver. 1.15, although one referenced a 1.16.  But you can't really trust third party sites for current information (or even correct information).

I am fine with updating my BIOS.  It certainly needs to be updated.  But, will this fix my problem?  With the power supply unplugged from the laptop, I was able to boot off the new battery exactly one time before it ran out of juice.  At that time I was able to see that the battery icon was there in the tray, had no 'X' on it, but the amount of charge was undetectable.  When I plug the power supply in, the red 'X' reappears over the battery icon and says 'no battery is detected' again.

Do I have another cheap battery?  Is there a problem with the power supply?  Will a BIOS update help?  Should I fling this laptop across the room?

BTW, the most recent battery was purchased from Bay Valley Parts online and was sold as 'new'. 

Answers

• jazzkeyboardist

Tinkerer

Just finished applying the 1.15 update and restarting.  No joy.  Still have 'no battery detected'.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you connect the AC charger when laptop is shut down, it's able to charge the battery?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jazzkeyboardist

Tinkerer

Nope. When it's disconnected from the charger, it shows 'Unknown remaining'.  When connected to the charger it shows 'No battery is detected'.  If there is another way to see if the battery is charging, please advise.

• IronFly

there is a battery LED status on the laptop, so even shutted down, it will gives you charge status.

Battery Indicates the computer’s battery status.

1. Charging: The light shows amber when the light is charging.

2. Fully charged: the light shows blue when in AC mode

• jazzkeyboardist

Tinkerer

If you are referring to the 3 LED's in front of and slightly to the left of the scroll pad, I see them.  The light in the center has a picture of a battery and lightning bolt in the center of it.  The light is flashing red.  It is this way regardless of whether the AC is plugged in or not.

• IronFly

red flashing is not good, that means AC can't charge battery or can't find batter.

• jazzkeyboardist

Tinkerer

That's true.  But the issue I have is that this is the 2nd battery (supposedly new) that I have put into this laptop and having the same issue.  From 2 different vendors.  Do you supposed it's just 2 bad batteries or something internal?

• IronFly

2 on 2 is not normal.....maybe is something not working on laptop battery sensor, but it's hard to be sure not having the laptop under my eyes. Smiley Happy

• jazzkeyboardist

Tinkerer

I suppose the only way I am going to know for sure is to buy a battery from Acer themselves.