Security

georgeW23227
georgeW23227 Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Acer Chrome C7 notebook.

Does anyone know what kind of built in anti virus security ii has, or, do I need to add anything?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

You likely don't need it, at least yet. Since Chromebooks don't really run programs other than the builtin browser, it would be hard for a virus to get executed and even harder for it to persist between sessions. That doesn't mean it's impossible for someone to write a virus for Chrome, just that it's tough enough to make a lot more sense to write one for a more popular OS, like Windows, Mac OS, iOS, or Android.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • georgeW23227

Thank you very much for the information!!!

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Just to add to what Billsey said, the Chrome OS does not run standard executable files which is how programs, specifically in this case, viruses are launched into computers. Also, the Chrome OS is designed so that each tab you have open is it's own sandbox, if you happened across a malicious site, it's supposed to be contained to that tab and of course go away when closed.

Finally, one of the big advantages to the Chrome OS is that they have updates occuring at the OS level every 6 weeks so issues should be addressed quickly.

Here's Google's take on the issue: https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/business/devices/features-learnmore.html#devices-feature-nohassles

• georgeW23227

That information is very, VERY helpful!!

Thank you very much!!