Aspire R13- How to go from one sad to two ssd's in raid 0 configuration?

Options
fat_owen
fat_owen Member Posts: 10 New User
Hello, I just added a second ssd drive into my Aspire R13 (R7-371T). It originally just had the one 128gb ssd and now has two 128gb ssd's in it. My question is how do I set up the new ssd to work together with the old ssd in raid 0 configuration as they do with other R13's that are purchased with the dual ssd's already installed? I want to get the increased write/read performance from the addition of my new ssd. Thank you.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the dual SSD in R13 is a single SSD configured to run like 2 SSD.

if your BIOS doesn't have any setting about RAID configuration (normally under IDE/AHCI settings), you must create a software RAID0 array:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36504/how-to-create-a-software-raid-array-in-windows-7/

if you have an UEFI BIOS, you need to first change it to Legacy, then change SATA settings to RAID, create the hardware RAID (if available), then switch back to UEFI.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • fat_owen
    fat_owen Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    Ok, so since my OS is on one of the ssd's that I'm going to set up with the raid, what's the best way to reinstall Windows 8.1? Also when reinstalling Windows, will it then give me an option to set up the drives in raid 0 configuration or will I have to set up an external hard drive to boot from first?