Iconia dual screen tablet/laptop install

Hotpants
Hotpants Member Posts: 10 New User

My friend has replaced the hard drive on his Iconia dual screen. He has all of the Acer replacement discs, but it keeps failing to reinstall Windows and the Acer software.

After booting off the CD 1/1 successfully, it asks for CD 1/4. However, once it gets to a ceratin stage, it fails with a cyclic redundancy error 17.

It stops at 43% of the top install bar, and 16% of the bottom bar, with it stopping at this point:

copying Z/images/POP010cc00xx2C5138.swm.

We have tried installing Windows 7 off another DVD, which installs fine, so I know the CD unit is OK. However, there is obviously no Acer software and the keypad on the bottom screen disappears as soon as Windows boots, rendering the machine useless.

Can anyone please advise on how to install this software on a new drive.

Many thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Wipe completly the new HDD, this means, no partitions, not MBR or GPT; then retry to install from the Acer erecovery media.

if it still fails, please check if CD 1/4 has some errors; you can do it with a CD burn software creating an .iso image from that CD.

i suggest you imgburn or infrarecorder, they will popup up a log if any error will be found.

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Hotpants

Hi IronFly, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The new HDD was totally wiped. No partitions, no MBR, nothing. As a matter of interest, I tried copying disc 1 of 4 with Nero, and it keeps coming up with 'copy error'. Not sure if the discs are write protected, or it's just a bad disc. There are no scratches or marks on it.

I will try and create an .iso and see if that comes up with an error log.

I read on another thread that someone had a problem with disc 3 of 4 failing - maybe the discs are poor quality?

• IronFly

bad supports can happen on USB flash drive too, so i'm not surprised about faulty CD/DVDs Smiley Happy

trying to create an iso image, it's a good test to check about errors since the whole disk must be read.

if you still have the old HDD working, i would put it back and recreate the erecovery CDs media with Acer erecovery software.

• Hotpants

I can't try the .iso until tomorrow. 

There is no hope for the old drive I'm afraid :-).

Will report back......

Thanks

• Hotpants

So £80 worth of DVDs going back to Acer - they look cheap copies, not even originals (though they are, as they came direct).

Once we get the replacements, hopefully they all work and we can start over.

Watch this space.......Smiley Tongue

• IronFly

ok, waiting for news.

• Hotpants

Don't believe it. Fresh set of discs, formatted unpartitioned HDD. Exactly the same error. Going to try an Ubuntu boot disc and zap the drive and try yet again.

This is getting silly, for what should be a simple recovery, and losing the will to live : Manmad:

Is there any way of getting the touch screen keypad working on the bottom screen with Windows on the top, (using a standard Windows install disc and not the useless Acer recovery discs)? The touch screen keypad appears on startup but disappears as soon as Windows loads (this was to try a Plan B that didnt work!)

Cheers

Hotpants

• IronFly

maybe installing drivers from Acer support website:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/3572;-;ICONIA

about the new recovery media disks, it's very strange....

• Hotpants

Hi IronFly, thanks for the response.

Ive moved things slightly further on - now the install fails with a cyclic error on disc 2/4. Dont know whether or not it is another disc issue or something else.

I tried every driver previously off the Acer website on an earlier Windows 7 install to see if that would work.

It seems that a lot of the software comes pre installed and cannot simply be downloaded.

Acer - please help!!

Cheers

• IronFly

Original drivers and software aare inside on of the DVDs, where.....honestly i don't know; it would be interesting if you were able to extract them from the files.

can you check which kind of file extensions are inside the DVDs?

• Hotpants

Hi IronFly, all of the files are compressed, and with truncated file types, so without knowing which of the 4 discs the keyboard software is on, it would be a nightmare to try and find out. I have looked at the discs to see if I could find anything, but couldnt see anything Man Sad

• IronFly

i don't have more ideas at the moment, i ask for some help.

• Hotpants

Thanks for the suggestions anyway; much appreciated

• Hotpants

Finally, sorted! Yet another new set of recovery media did the job.

All is well with the world! I never want to see one of these tablets again Man Frustrated

Regards

Hotpants

• IronFly

Oh, great to hear it! Smiley Very Happy

• Hotpants

Thanks for the support, much appreciated!

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• power4things
    power4things Member Posts: 2 New User

This has happened several times with my Iconia 6150 and it doesn't seem to matter.  The install appears to be complete, it just doesn't sign off very cleanly.  Go ahead and pop in disc 5 with the drivers and finish.