Aspire S5-391: Touchpad not in device manager, not working!

Options
ExDC
ExDC Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm not sure what I did - the touchpad was behaving VERY badly, I tried to download and reinstall drivers (used Synaptics because I could not tell what was on my machine)...but now I have nothing:

running Windows 7

Under "Input" in System Information (not Device Manager) - "Keyboard" has USB Input Device (Logitech Download Assistant) [that's a Logitech M505 mouse with USB bluetooth - the built-in Atheros USB hasn't worked in years] and PS/2 Standard Keyboard. "Pointing Device" has only HID-compliant mouse (driver is mouhid.sys). Nothing for PS/2-compliant mouse, or any touchpad.

With system diagnostics I get the following:

Symptom:
Device cannot start.
Cause:A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from starting properly.
Details:The device, PS/2 Compatible Mouse, cannot start properly. It may not have the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ACPI\SYN1B5F\4-C721B88-0.
Resolution:1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
 2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
 3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
 4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.

I don't know which  touchpad I have, synaptics or elantech, and since it doesn't show up on device manager or system information, I cannot tell. The Synaptics driver said it would not install because it could not find any applicable device. The Acer website is not telling me what driver I need from my serial number or SNID - it says Service Not Available.

Please advise!!

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As per the hardware ID you have provided I see that the system has Synaptics driver.

The software and hardware device drivers that are pre-installed on an Acer product can be re-installed using Acer Recovery Management. This can be needed when one specific program is showing a problem, or when you want to revert to the original driver version in case an updated driver does not work as expected.

Use the following steps to restore drivers and application from eRecovery:

Click Start, and then All programs.Click Acer and then Acer eRecovery Management. In the following window click Restore.Click Reinstall driver or application. Select Content and choose the driver or application you want to reinstall.
    On the right, click the installation link and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Your computer should restart once installation is complete. If it does not, please restart the system manually.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

Answers

• ExDC
    ExDC Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Solved - it needed the Elantech drivers...and now I have the touchpad back but it still works badly...which is why I went to the Bluetooth mouse.  Sticky, erratic sensitivity. Most likely hardware issue and unsolvable, sigh.

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As per the hardware ID you have provided I see that the system has Synaptics driver.

The software and hardware device drivers that are pre-installed on an Acer product can be re-installed using Acer Recovery Management. This can be needed when one specific program is showing a problem, or when you want to revert to the original driver version in case an updated driver does not work as expected.

Use the following steps to restore drivers and application from eRecovery:

Click Start, and then All programs.Click Acer and then Acer eRecovery Management. In the following window click Restore.Click Reinstall driver or application. Select Content and choose the driver or application you want to reinstall.
    On the right, click the installation link and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Your computer should restart once installation is complete. If it does not, please restart the system manually.

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.pngto say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.