Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Acer Aspire R13 backlight keyboard issues

I got the Aspire R13 (317T) a couple of days ago, and while I am really enjoying it there's a couple of problems with the keyboard.  

The first is that is there any way to completely disable the backlight on the keyboard?  I'm tired of having to manually use the function keys to turn if off every time I open the lid.  This wouldn't be as much of a problem if there wasn't the second issue.

Second, when the backlight is all the way up, there is a high pitched buzzing noise comming from the speakers.  I've found a coulple other posts that have the same problem but I don't know if it's a defect or an issue that can be fixed.

I really like this laptop but these keyboard issues are starting to make me think I need to return it.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• -Justin-Justin Posts: 2,362 Seasoned Practitioner
    Accepted Answer

jjsmall009,

As far as the backlight goes, no, you would have to use the keys to turn it off every time.

If you are experiencing a high pitch sound only when the backlight is at full brightness we can have our repair technicians look at the unit for you if you'd like.

Here is the link to set up repairs online without ever having to call in or you can chat online with a technician (available 24/7).

FAQ & Answers

• -Justin-Justin Posts: 2,362Member Seasoned Practitioner
    Accepted Answer

jjsmall009,

As far as the backlight goes, no, you would have to use the keys to turn it off every time.

If you are experiencing a high pitch sound only when the backlight is at full brightness we can have our repair technicians look at the unit for you if you'd like.

Here is the link to set up repairs online without ever having to call in or you can chat online with a technician (available 24/7).

• jjsmall009jjsmall009 Posts: 3Member

Alright, thanks for the reply.

• carskrcarskr Posts: 5Member

could they solve the problem with the backlight keyboard sound? i have the same problem...

• jjsmall009jjsmall009 Posts: 3Member

No, there's really no other option than to return it and hopefully get a new one without the issue.  I've gotten used to just turning off the backlight whenever I open the laptop up, so it's not too bad anymore.

• Cube00Cube00 Posts: 1Member

I sent my unit back to have the buzzing sound from the backlight at full brightness checked but they were not able to correct it. Even after replacing the keyboard for the missing key press problem, still didn't solve it.

• KEHinWAKEHinWA Posts: 40Member Troubleshooter

Buzzing is likely from the EL driver on the MB.. I bet.   I have the missing keypress problems but not the Buzz.