acer switch 10 plugged in, not charging

CaitlynB
CaitlynB Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I bought an Acer Switch 10 about two weeks ago.  Everything was working fine until a couple days ago when I noticed that the battery wasn't charging.  I plugged it in and when I clicked on the battery icon, it read : plugged in, not charging.  When it is plugged in, the blue battery indicator goes on.  Sometimes if I restart it, the battery will charge again but will go back to plugged in, not charging if the plug is removed and reinserted.  I read somewhere else that I should uninstall a battery manager and then reinstall it so I did that, but it didn't help.  If I cycle the battery down to nothing, will it charge again or will it just be dead?  It doesn't lose battery if the plug is plugged in but it doesn't receive any either. 

Thanks for any help!

Caitlyn

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Are you sure you are using the right charger? The one that came with it put out enough current to charge even while the computer was being used. Most third party supplies put out enough to keep it charged, but not enough to raise the charge level while the computer is on. That's what it sounds like you are experiencing. I'd guess if you did a full shutdown then plugged it in it would charge fully even if the supply isn't putting out enough.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • CaitlynB
    CaitlynB Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi
    I've been using the charger that the laptop came with and the result is above. The laptop also doesn't charge when it is turned off. I restarted it twice and on the second time it started to charge again.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

If the charge level is above 90% I have seen devices not charge further but once it discharges to about 75-80% it will charge. Is this what you are seeing ?

• mathewlowry
    mathewlowry Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, but despite several restarts (along with 2battery driver uninstalls) nothing has changed. 

Another clue: I am using a second screen via the HDMI cable, and the behaviour is odd. The screen of the Switch goes blank pretty quickly after restarting. To begin with, I thought the PC had turned itself off, despite being plugged in. But the 2nd screen was still on, so I switched the graphic screen settings around to turn it into my main screen, to keep an eye on the battery indicator.

And then the 2nd screen went black - the PC unilitarally changes the graphic settings, probably. It's happened twice as I type this message - each time I hit the power screen and the 2nd screen comes back for a couple of minutes. 

This PC is under 6 months old! How can ACER ship this *****?

• brydon
    brydon Member Posts: 1 New User

had mine 3 months and same thing three days to power up if at all plug it in and says the same 

[inappropriate content removed]