A501 Problem updateing to 4.0.3

kometmotor
kometmotor Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

I seem to be having a problem shared by many.  I was going to try a manual update by downloading to a sd card but I have a question first.  My build version is Acer_A501_4.402.03_PA_ATT ( what it says under build number).  I looked under OS updates available and dont see one for Android 4.0 that matches this.  At least not to my limited knowledge of Android OS machines.  I am normally a Apple user but need this machine running Version 4.0 for a work related app.  Can someone plase advise?

Answers

• kometmotor

Forgot to mention that I am getting the "Network coverage is currently poor" message.  That is why I was going to try to update via SD card.

• sathya0403
    sathya0403 ACE Posts: 586 Pioneer
    Hi,

What is the Current Android version?(you can find the same under Settings>About Tablet). Where are you from (Country of purchase)?.
  • kometmotor

I thought I listed it above.  The build version is 4.402.03_PA_ATT  That is what it says under build number.  Android version is 3.2.  Acer Model number is A501.  Tablet was purchased in the US.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

no 4.0.3 update to download for PA_ATT version, sorry.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • doug_scott
    doug_scott Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

IronFly wrote:

no 4.0.3 update to download for PA_ATT version, sorry.

Something I have been wondering.  Near as I can tell, the images available from Acer are created for a specific region and maybe carrier.  Why can they not just create a generic image, one that is not tied to a specific carrier?  With the availabilty of mobile WiFi, the A501 could be a useful tablet that is connecting via WiFi.  Can't believe that setting the tablet to access a specific carrier is particularly difficult as well.  Carrier has no need to be afraid of having to provide tech support for the device, they already have cut off support for it, at least Rogers already has.  Surely Acer has a "basic" image of ICS that can be loaded onto any A501 device.  The A501 has no voice capabilities to be concerned about, it just needs data from the carrier.

• AustmanBob
    AustmanBob Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer A501 - Build:Acer_A501_4.064.01_AAP_Optus. This unit was purchased in Australia. Is this capable of upgrade to 4.0.3

• IronFly

that build was Optus mobile customized, need to ask them if they have an update.

i doubt.

• DNChristensen
    DNChristensen Member Posts: 1 New User

I want to download Adobe Digital Edition to my Acer A501 tablet from the Google Play Store,for my uni course, but I get a message saying that it is not compatible with this version of Android. So I try to upgrade the system from 3.2.1 and I get the message that the signal is too weak and to move closer to the source, even when the signal is strong. Why does the system not allow me to upgrade it, please? Thank you for your help in this matter.

• IronFly

that message appears because old Acer servers are down from about 2 years.

the only way to download updates for you tablet is via Acer support website:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3852;-;A501

click on OS tab.

double check that your actual image version match the one reported on the website.

• AntonyNaude
    AntonyNaude Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

IronFly said:

that message appears because old Acer servers are down from about 2 years.

the only way to download updates for you tablet is via Acer support website:

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3852;-;A501

click on OS tab.

double check that your actual image version match the one reported on the website.IronFly said:

Hi IronFly,

My image version is acer_a501_1.309.02_com_gen1, I cannot find this anywhere and I would like to upgrade my android version from 3.0.1 to 4.x
    Any ideas?