my Acer Aspire S7-191 says "no bootable device". Should I reinstall Windows 8.1?

S7191france
S7191france Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire S7-191

http://www.acer.ae/ac/en/AE/content/model/NX.M42EM.016

running Windows 8.1.

When I switch on the ultrabook I see the "Acer" logo and then a line says "no bootable device, please restart system".

Here is what Acer says on its website

> After an unexpected shutdown on a system with Solid State Drive (SSD), you may see a message No bootable device -- Please restart system. This problem occurs when the table of content of the SSD is corrupted due to the unexpected shutdown. It can be corrected automatically by the SSD using the backup of its table of contents.
>
> SOLUTION
>
> Use the following steps to synchronize the tables of the SSD:
>
> Restart the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
> Leave the system running for approximately 15 minutes.
> After 15 minutes, arrow over to the Exit menu and then select Exit Saving Changes and press Enter.
> Note: Do not use the power button to exit the CMOS.
> Press Enter again to save changes and exit.
> If the tables have resynchronized, Windows will start the next time the system is powered on.

I tried it several times (waiting up to 1 hour) but it did not work.

I entered the bios and I checked that the drive which the ultrabook is booting on is the SSD indeed.

I tried the Legacy BIOS and it says "hdd0 raid0 status failed strip 64kb 128 gb".

* do you have any idea on the diagnostic? SSD failure?

* should I create a bootable USB drive (using this tutorial

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

to reinstall Windows?

Many thanks!

Answers

• sujonj92
    sujonj92 Member Posts: 2 New User

Dear S7191france,

Good Day!!

Regarding the "No Bootable Device Found" Error message, You can do a Power drain (Holding a paper clip inside the Battery reset pinhole for 30 seconds) on this computer, Incase Power drain does'nt work, Then the Issue will be with the Hardware of the computer and you need to take it to a Local tech, Possibly a hardisk failure.

Gracious,

Sujon

• S7191france

Thanks for you answer.

I tried the power drain and I still have the same message : "no bootable device".

Are you sure it means it is a hardware failure?

There is no point in trying to reinstall Windows 8 from a USB drive?

Many thanks!

• sujonj92
    sujonj92 Member Posts: 2 New User

Dear S7191france,

Since you already tried with a BIOS default at the very beginning, I dont think reinstalling windows 8.1 will fix this issue.

Gracious

Sujon

• HeyRoxie
    HeyRoxie Member Posts: 27 New User

you need to shut down the device.. remove all sources of power (plug and battery) let it sit for a moment.the while still no power connect hit the start button rapidly a few times.. . plug it in and than replace the battery.. the start the system... see if it goes into the the proper stages and Windows starts..

IF NOT shut it down the proper way.. use the crtl alt delete or holding down main power button only if you are unable to turn it off by the normal channels..

repeat above steps of removing and clearing that is mentiond in the beginning of my post..

when you restart this time.. hit the I believe it is F1 or F2 on this model to get to a safe mode start up..

if you can get in.. go to the control panel and look at the device manager and see if any of the drivers need to be updated.. YOU DO NOT need to reoad Windows YET as you may have a driver issue or a section on the drive that is corrupt..

update any drivers than need to be and than bring up the CMD prompt in the elevated status of Admin and run the following

SFC /SCANNOW .... this command will fix any corrupt program and HDD issues caused by the crash of the system...

Let me know how this goes...

• S7191france

sujonj92, many thanks for your answer.

I found this tutorial:

How do I reinstall Windows on my Aspire S7-191?

Use the following steps to reinstall Windows on your Aspire S7-191:

1. Change the BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy.
    2. After exiting the BIOS, enter the Intel Rapid Storage Utility by pressing Ctrl+I.
    3. In the utility, delete any existing RAID. Select option 2, then press the Del key, and then Y key for yes.
    4. Select option 1 to create a new RAID Volume, and press Enter until it asks to confirm new volume, then press the Y key for yes. You should now have a RAID0(Stripe) with a name Volume0 with a status of normal.
    5. Select option 6 to exit the RAID Utility.
    6. Return to the BIOS and change the boot mode back to UEFI. Save and exit.
    7. Follow the steps in our article Restoring the operating system to restore the operating system of your computer.

but you seem to say that it is useless.

May I ask 2 other questions:

If I delete the existing Raid, will the recovery partition still exist/load? I assume not.

Do you know how much the repair will cost if I send the Aspire S7 to Acer?

Thanks!

• S7191france

@HeyRoxie

I can't remove the battery, it is sealed

Windows does not boot so I can't use CTRL+ALT+DEL

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you press F12 at boot,  which devices appears on the boot list?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • S7191france

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

Fn+F12 does nothing when I press them (there is no F12 key on the Aspire S7 191, one row of key (the F ones) is missing).

its says "no bootable device" even if I press Fn F12 during and just after the "Acer logo".

• IronFly

don't use Fn.

at boot press F2 (or the button that have the F2 marked on blue but don't press the Fn key)

once in BIOS go to Main tab and check if SATA Mode is in RAID MODE

please set F12 Boot menu on enabled

then move to Boot tab and check the boot device list, windows boot manager must be the first.

once set it, press F10  then save and exit

check if it can boot.

if not try the tutorial, but i'm not sure that ALT+F10 will work after the recreation of RAID0, probably you need Acer erecovery media.

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• S7191france

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

I followed your steps but there is no windows boot manager visible in the boot device list.

How can I make it appear?

Thanks.

• IronFly

Muste have UEFI and secure boot enabled, if even with those 2 settings enabled the windows boot manager is missing....

your windows 8.1 installation is corrupted, can be the EFI partition.

have you tried to boot pressing ALT+F10 to check if any Acer erecovery is available?

• S7191france

ALT+F10 does nothing :-(

• IronFly

So, try to follow the instruction you found and if you need the Acer erecovery media:

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• GoldynChylde
    GoldynChylde Member Posts: 3 New User

On my Acer E5-573 it also said no bootable device. It did this after I cleared the CMOS to remove the password (which didn't help as the password is still there) I managed to get into the bios though. I changed UEFI to legacy and windows booted without a problem. Now to get the password sorted....

172 Member Posts: 1 New User

you can go to the bios and go to main and then go to 12 boot menu then put enable