my s7 shows no form of life not even any lights while charging.

Options
jobione
jobione Member Posts: 3 New User

My s7 stopped charging but still continued to work but the battery obviously continued to run down. I replaced the charger but this made no difference. The poor thing finanly died and now I dont even get any lights when plugged in. Really miss the thing as I have now have had to  buy a cheap laptop to use that does not compare to the acer.

Answers

• boscorelly
    boscorelly Member Posts: 30

Tinkerer

Options

Maybe try replacing the battery ? It may be something like 60$ (paid mine 60€ in france for m5-581).

• jobione
    Options

Thanks boscorelly, will give that a try.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

A long shot but try resetting the computer by using a paper clip in the 'Battery reset pinhole' - hold for four seconds. (It is marked with a battery symbol under the grill in the bottom top left on the S7-391.)

If no indicators are lit when a live power cord is plugged in, it may well point to a problem with the power circuit. I believe that, regardless of the battery condition, you should still be able to operate with the PSU. Consequently, I would investigate further before investing in a new battery. I have heard of socket failure being a common cause on some laptops (not specifically Acer I should add). It can often be detected by a sloppy or loose power input socket. If this is the problem, unless you are comfortable with a soldering iron, it would be best left to service personnel.

• jobione
    Options

Hi Alan, I did try the battery reset button but no luck. I do agree that the power circuit does seem the most likely culprit as when the problem started I was watching a movie and it went to power saving mode as if the power cord had been pulled out. I then just watched the battery slowly run down over the next few days until it finaly died. I have taken it apart and the power adapter does seem to be in good shape. Could it be the mother board?

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Well yes, it could be. Now I'm not suggesting or encouraging you to attempt any sort of fault finding or repair but if you have a decent multimeter it is, or can be, a relatively straight forward procedure to trace the power from the input socket until you find the fault. On the other hand, it could be a nightmare depending on your ability and/or the complexity of the circuit. That decision I leave to you of course. You could find an easy fix or totally destroy your laptop. You know your own ability, skill level and worst case outcome so can decide whether you wish to 'have a go' or send out for repair.

From my experience, if it is a power related issue, the two most common component failures are voltage regulators (where used) and capacitors. If nothing else, tracing the power through may well tell you if it is a power issue or not.

At this point I feel obliged to say 'take it to your nearest service shop'! Does that cover my back sufficiently??
    Anyway, good luck whichever course of action you choose.