Updating Iconia A501 Tablet to Android 4.0

Options
mkr1980
mkr1980 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

Hi All,

I'm aware that I have a tablet from the very old days (A501). But I really want to update the android to the latest version available.

Unfortuneately I finding some trouble trying to get this done. I have the following situation:

Current version: The 3.2 EMEA_TMPL version. So if I go to the acer support side I need to install this version: A501.4.483.01.EMEA.TMPL 

Once I've copied this update.zip to my SD card and boot the tablet the installing proces seems to be fine. I see the green android figure and a installation progressing something. So far so good. 

In my old situation, with the old version, I always had a t-mobile startup screen. After installing the new version this t-mobile screen is gone and changed to a android start screen (only the letters android).

So I was thinking wow the installation went fine and I have a new android version. But strangely I still have the same 3.2 version and nothing has changed. Only the startup screen has changed.

So  has anybody an idea how to continue, I'm pretty much lost in the installation proces !

Any help and tips are much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Marcel

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

do a factory reset, backup your personal data first.

settings/backup&reset/factory data reset

then apply the update again.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mkr1980
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I will do those steps and will let you know the results! 

• mkr1980
    Options

Hi,

I did a factory reset but It didn't work. Strangely I do see the installation running succesfully, I don't see any occurring errors. After installing the update the tables restart but still having version 3.2.1 with Build Acer_A501_4.4483.01_EMEA_TMPL.

Below is the version which I have downloaded.

Knipsel.PNG

Am I missing something?

THanks

• IronFly
    Options

i suspect that is a 3.2 rom, not 4.0, even if listed under 4.0

let me ask.

• mkr1980
    Options

You are probably right. In the meantime I've tried to install all the other versions from the support site, but unfortuneately none of those are working. Probably a veriosn mismatch because of the explanation mark sign I see during the installation proces.

Seems like there is no upgrade available for my current version.

• IronFly
    Options

yep, you can't cross flash build versions if Acer didn't allow.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

I'm unable to validate the issue myself being in the US, but I've forwarded this thread to the appropriate team to review.

Thanks,
    Cory

• Cory-Acer
    Options

mkr1980,

Could you send me a private message with your Serial Number?

• mkr1980
    Options

Hi Cory,

I've just sent you a private message with the serial number.

Thanks,

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Got it, thanks.

I'm following up with the team on this issue.

Cory

• Cory-Acer
    Options

So image 4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL is still based on 3.2 (Honeycomb) and the image version is not relative to the OS version. I've ask them to follow up and make appropriate adjustments to the files.

Cory

• mkr1980
    Options

Hi Cory,

So for my understanding, does that mean they will change the file so it can be used for updating to 4.0?

Thanks for helping out!

• Cory-Acer
    Options

mkr1980,

No, I've ask that the files are cleaned up and put in the appropriate place. I've asked for further clarification on if ICS is available for the A501. I'll get back once I have an answer.

Cory

• Cory-Acer
    Options

mkr1980,

The A501 with the EMEA_TMPL build did not receive an ICS update and other ICS loads are not designed to be flashed onto the EMEA_TMPL load.

Cory

• stevenz
    stevenz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have a similar problem. I have an A501 that failed, it was on 4.03. I sent it back and had it refurbed, they sent it back to me with Android 3.2.1 Acer_A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL and now I cannot upgrade over the air, get the Server Error, and I cannot get an update file to update.

What can/will Acer do to help me.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, those servers have been offline for a while now. Just go to the support website and look under the OS tab. There should be update images you can download and install via a SD card to get you up to the last rev.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • stevenz
    stevenz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

As above there is none available for 4.03 that match EMEA_TMPL and I have tried pretty much all of them anyway to only get the Android !

So we need from Acer a 4.03 Update.zip file that will match an existing 3.2.1 Acer_A501_4.483.01_EMEA_TMPL

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, I don't know which SKU TMPL was for, but it looks like that one never got the upgrade to 4.0.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Niraj_Australia
    Niraj_Australia Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    So now what? we are stuck with a tablet that cant be upgraded? I have the same exact problem. How do I upgrade it? At least android 4.0 would be better than 3.2.1 :( 
  • billsey
    Options
    The A500 models have an upgrade path to 4.0x, the A501 models do not. I assume it has something to do with the 3G package on the A501.