After deleting emails they keep reappearing. Drives me crazy.

rosieg311
rosieg311 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

are you talking about the default email client?

your email provider?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • genterminl
    genterminl Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I have the same problem.  Default email client on an A1-830, android 4.4.2,  Select unread messages, go throught them, deleting many.  Select Inbox, and many of the ones I deleted are still there.  Delete them again.  Select unread, see no messages.  Select Inbox, some of the deleted messages are back.  This can go on for several rounds.  In my case, it's an sbcglobal.net address, and I really don't want to get into finger pointing between Yahoo (handles the email for that domain) and the app itself.  Any thoughts or ideas on troubleshooting would be appreciated.

• IronFly

open your email application

tap on settings

tap on your email account

scroll down to server settings

tap on incoming settings

select when i delete from inbox from  delete email from server

if you don't have this option, you need to deleted your email account from the device and recreate it manually (don't let the application do it automatically) 

• rosieg311
    rosieg311 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your reply. I'll keep trying to solve this. I hate when they keep reappearing!!!
  • genterminl

Tinkerer

Under settings for the email app, under the account, under server settings, I only see Incoming Settings and Outgoing Settings, neither of which has anything about deleting messages.  Also, part of the problem is the inconsistent behavior.  Sometimes messages reappear, sometimes they do not.  I have not detected any particular pattern.  However, I don't think I have ever had to delete on more than three or four times for it not to reappear.

In case it matters, this is email version 4.4.2-384

• IronFly

Have you try to create the account manually?

don't let the application find automatically server settings.

i have the same email application version on my Acer E380, it's a smartphone but this doesn't matter.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

The options available will change depending on what type of email server you connect to. Is it POP3/SMTP, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync or some other?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • genterminl

Tinkerer

This is IMAP to android.imap.mail.yahoo.com, so I would expect a delete to actually do so on the server.  It does make sense that the setting IronFly referred to would be for POP3.  However, even in that case, it still would not explain the inconsistent behavior.  I would also wonder why it would make a difference whether I set up the account manually or automatically, but I suppose using a different server might behave differently.  I'll have to recheck the recommeded settings from my ISP.

• IronFly

i would check also yahoo setting on the website, maybe there's something about deleting email from a smartphone/tablet email client.

• susanb
    susanb Member Posts: 4 New User
    Still have this problem. I followed the directions given by IronFly, and discovered I'd already clicked all the appropriate boxes -- and the situation remains the same. Since this issue hasn't had any comments for a while, I thought I'd raise it again and see if any new tricks show up.
  • ss6814712
    ss6814712 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can I delete all my old unwanted e mail messages on my Acer Chrome 15 all at once and how do I do that? Thank you
  • bridgetell
    bridgetell Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have not detected any particular pattern.