Acer please help - S7-391 - suddenly sleep and shutdown not working - BIOS not updating

Options
mang111
mang111 Member Posts: 2 New User

So our Acer s7-391 is a bit over 1 year old which we paid over $1100 for. Yesterday my wifes s7 stopped sleeping (closing lid then opening does not bring laptop back up, light still blue and fans still going), shutdown also not working - black screen, fans spinning. Only reboot works.
To bring the laptop back out of sleep mode I need to press and hold the powerbutton and do a hard reset. I have tried to disconnect the battery (with the pin) with the a/c off. doesn't fix the sleep issue. our Bios version is 3.09 which I understand is fairly old. I tried to update to the latest 3.18 from your site - it reboots and I get the error "insydeh20 invalid firmware image - press any key to reset" - then it restarts fine without updating bios. There is no password on the Bios.

I also tried the 3.15 version from your site, same problem. I got this file by entering my SNID number from the acer site - to make sure I am not downloading the wrong file, I even used the Acer live update - it finds the updated bios, goes through the process, restarts, same error "insydeh20 invalid firmware image".

What can cause this? Has Acer seen this problem before? There have been no new Windows updates, the computer was working just fine prior to this issue. I have even tried in safe mode, same problem, no sleep, no shutdown (both the screen only turns black, fans still going, blue light still on, press any key on keyboard doesn't bring it back, needs a hard reset).

From online forums, there seem to be a connection between the a laptop not going to sleep and bios not completing the update - especially with the 'insydeh20' error as a few people are having the same issues with sleep and the insydeh20 bios brands.

I tried updating the chipset drivers, also Intel HD 4000 straight from the Intel site.  Doesn't seem to help the issue.

We would really appreciate some help. Spending $1100 on a nice laptop 1.3 years ago and now we can't even close the lid or shut down the laptop is really heart breaking. My wife loved this laptop. We had so many good things to say about our sleek new s7, until now. please help!

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

1. Get to Device Manager(Hold Windows Key & Letter X, you would get a Drop down, Select Device Manager)
    2. Expand System Devices
    3. Right click on ACPI Power button, uninstall & restart the computer
    This should help you to shutdown the coumputer.
    Check & get back. Cheers
  • mang111
    mang111 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

but no go.

i uninstalled the Power and Sleep ACPI buttons, restarted.. reinstalled all the latest Intel chipset drivers.

computer still stuck on either Sleep or Shutdown when either are initiated.