Aspire 5742G BIOS update

Options
vesp3r
vesp3r Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello guys. as the title sais i have Aspire 5742G and on the download section of the site i see theres a BIOS update. Now i have old aspire 5315 and when i tryed to update my bios on it i almost bricked it. So my question is: Is it safe to update my BIOS on the 5742G and will doing so improve my laptop performace. Right now i experience audio lag at random moments (sometimes when i listen music or watching movie online from any browser and sometimes using desktop apps for offline watching of movies). Also When i shift+del too fast (if i pres the combination in less than 2-3 seconds) it doesnt read my shift (it show me msg to send files to bin not permanently delete). Tryed windows updates, restore points, driver updates, driver restore, windows clean install (over 10 times), different windows (from windows 7 to windows 8 and even tryed Ubuntu). Went to local tech assosiated with Acer and they said they cant find the cause of the problem. So as last resort im concidering to update BIOS

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

i would suggest you to create a bootable DOS USB flash drive with Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

plug your USB flash drive, start Rufus and then set it as on the screenshot (FAT32 or FAT doesn't matter)

usbdos.jpg

Once done, copy the content of the BIOS DOS folder on the root of USB flash drive.

power off your notebook, Boot pressing F12 and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device, once in the DOS enviroment type

update.bat

then follow onscreen instructions.

Please be sure that your battery is 100% charged and your AC charger is connected.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

99% it's safe, you will have 2 options to flash it, one is DOS and it's the safest.

it's worth a try in my opinion.

• vesp3r
    Options

sweet. ill give it a try then. BTW can you give me some step by step guide for that dos thingy?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

i would suggest you to create a bootable DOS USB flash drive with Rufus:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

plug your USB flash drive, start Rufus and then set it as on the screenshot (FAT32 or FAT doesn't matter)

usbdos.jpg

Once done, copy the content of the BIOS DOS folder on the root of USB flash drive.

power off your notebook, Boot pressing F12 and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device, once in the DOS enviroment type

update.bat

then follow onscreen instructions.

Please be sure that your battery is 100% charged and your AC charger is connected.

• vesp3r
    Options

I just flashed my bios and so far so good

Noticed right away that my boot time dropped to half (if not more) now its time to test some hd videos to see if the problem i had still persist. THANKS MAN!!!

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome. Smiley Happy

• admsho
    admsho Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Thnx for your article, but where can I find the Bios File

This discussion has been closed.