Acer SW5-011 corrupted BIOS

triptongo
triptongo Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

Hello,

I own an Acer Aspire Switch 10 (SW5-011). Yesterday, I updated the BIOS, but something failed along the way, so now I only have a black screen. The Acer logo does not show when I restart it.

Please, I would like to know how to re-flash the BIOS so I can get back my PC.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,328 Pathfinder
    The best option to re-flash the BIOS is to send the Acer Aspire Switch directly to Acer repair center.
    If you have a unit from US or Canada, you may also live chat with an Acer technician at : Acer live chat
    If you have purchased the computer in any other country, you may contact Acer support here : Acer Global Support

Click the Kudos kudos-thumbs-up.png to say “Thanks” for helping! select "Accept Solution" if your issue is resovled.

• triptongo

Not an option as I am currently travelling.

Also, re-flashing is not that complex. I just need to know the keyboard combination to tell the BIOS to read from the USB drive. And of course, the naming convention of the files that need to be in the USB drive.

I have seen posts in this forum of other people re-flashing with old models of Acer computers. None of those works for my SW5-011 though.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The problem is that if the Basic Input Output System is corrupt, you have a brick, the CPU does not know what device it is in or how to reach anything. It does not know it has a screen, keyboard, or USB or if it is really a toaster (bagle size).

The only way I know to reprogram a BIOS is to remove the chip and put it in a programmer though Acer may just be able to put a clip on it.

• triptongo

Any ideas guys?

I have been trying pasting the ROM file in a USB and trying to boot the lptop using Fn+Esc or Fn+B or Fn+F but not working.

By the way this is the update that killed my laptop:

Category Vendor Description Version Size Date  

FirmwareAcerFirmwareD12584.6 KB2015/01/30Download

File is located at:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Patch/Firmware/Firmware_Acer_D12_W81x86_A.zip?acerid=635582027242696535&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE%20SWITCH%2010&Step3=SW5-011&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

It doesn't look like that firmware patch has anything to do with the BIOS, it's firmware for the keyboard. What did it display when you ran the ITESHFU.exe program? It should have looked for the keyboard, verified that it was the right one to update, then updated it's firmware...

What happens when you try to boot the computer itself, with the keyboard detached?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • triptongo

Hi Billsey,

Yes, it is the firmware update. I ran it in Windows, no issues. It ended up saying Success (or something similar). Then I restarted and after the Acer splash but before Windows, a screen showed with a progress bar, and it said something like New xxxxxx: Fendi

Then, the progress bar reached 100% and it restarted it by itself. From that point, the PC is just a black screen.

I use a clip to turn it off with the Reset button, and when I turned on (with or without keyboard), nothing at all shows on the display, and it starts to warm up. Also, when I press the Windows button located below the display (not the one in the keyboard) the laptop vibrates, which is a functionality this laptop has.

So, I tried connecting it to the TV using the micro HDMI but nothing happens, also it shows as a disconnected device in my router.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

Then I'm afraid I'm going to agree with the others, it's going to have to take a trip to Acer for the repair.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cadavar83
    cadavar83 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey, I've got the same problem but made it by mistake. I've donloaded some drivers and put the on usb drive, probably one of them was bios file which updated after rebooting. How you problem was resolved? Unfortunately warranty has ended 10 days ago. 

• DRebilas
    DRebilas Member Posts: 1 New User

I NEED THIS FIX! SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME!!!

Anybody fix this yet?