VN7-591G-74LK wifi problem?

auching
auching Member Posts: 6 New User

I just purchased a VN7-591G-74LK for my son. The laptop is beautiful, has great graphic power and he enjoyed it. (Finally he can play minecraft without any lag, *ha* )

When we tried to download some large files, we found that the Internet speed is really low, and actually we failed to download the file twice. Finally we found that the wifi signal was not stable. After some test, I found that when it sits next to the router, I can get 20+ Mbps downloading speed. But when in my son's room (only about 8.5 meters from router, with 1 wall in between), the speed drop to less than 4M and unstable. The funny thing is that uploading speed was stable... kinda. I tried several other devices like phone, iPad, other laptops and this laptop is the only one has the problem.

I read some discuss and it seems like a problem of internal wi-fi card (Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222). Are there anyway to fix the problem? (firmware update?)

Answers

• Hello,

Have you tried to update the driver?

Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (NFA344)11.0.0.37370.5 MB2015/01/21Download
    Wireless LANAtherosWireless LAN Driver (NFA222)10.0.0.288266.4 MB2014/11/26Download
    France
  • auching

The laptop came with driver version 10.0.0.288 (the one listed for NFA222).

Is NFA344 for AR5BWB222?

• Download it and read readme.txt or "file".inf

France
  • auching

The zip file does not contains readme.txt nor *.inf

The only application information I can find is "Qualcomm Atheros 61x4 Wireless LAN&Bluetooth Installer"

• vn7571g_user
    vn7571g_user Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello Auching,

I'm facing the same issues you faced. Did updating the driver help? If so, which file did you use - the NFA222 or the NFA344? And how do we know if these files are compatible with the AR5BWB222 card?

• auching

Unfortunately, nope.

But a $19.99 usb wi-fi adapter from Amazon solved the problem perfectly.

• vn7571g_user

Sigh..

It's really frustrating that Acer chose to keep selling these models with the defective cards rather than issue an update or even facilitate a free recall program. I also noticed that once I have activated 'Airplane mode' and later switch it off, the wifi refuses to start.  Using the Acer Quick Access toolbar also didn't help jumpstart the wifi. The only option is to restart the laptop. 

By the way, any suggestions for the usb wi-fi adapter?

• andyouf
    andyouf Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

The models with the I7 4710 Intel had the Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 which was horrible. Amazon took mine back and it seemed they were aware of the problem. The next model had the I7 4720 and also a different Qualcomm 61x4 a/c card. This fixed the issue. If you are unable to return it just get a usb adapter that is what I did while I was waiting and it worked perfectly fine.

Link: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008IFXQFU

• auching
  • andyouf

That probably is a better recommendation I "only" was getting 54-65mbps with the one I linked too.

• auching

I got about same speed. But it might be because of my old wireless router.

• vn7571g_user

And how was the range on the TP-Link? My router is about 30 feet away from where I usually sit with the laptop (I'm on the 1st floor, the router is placed downstairs). 

• andyouf

No prob with range but my router is only about 12 feet away and never really tested it. I'm a comcast customer and got sick of the tired old routers (wirless gateways) they give you if you don't ask for the latest and greatest so in case you do use comcast....demand an upgrade....it is the same $10/mo if you lease. Auching's usb wifi might be better for range issues.

• vn7571g_user

K, thanks for that. I guess I'll go for the Panda then.

• andyouf

Sounds good. Some people were taking them apart and putting Intel cards they bought off amazon, newegg, whatever but there was no way I was doing that. I have no interest taking apart my brand new laptop. The Nitro is pretty tightly put together and I don't want to make some crazy mistake that destoys the entire motherboard, or some little connector clip that is impossible to find, something I'd do.