Strange behavior- aspire booting problems

Options
cal0987
cal0987 Member Posts: 4 New User

This is multiple stange things with my laptop. I have a Aspire v3 (va70) and when i update the Nvidia graphics driver, it will not automatically shut down after the install and i have to manually shut the computer off. When i go to retart the computer, it will power up and go into the acer screen , but will refuse to go any further...it has a mouse pointer and the wireless icon flashes, but will not proceed any further than the Acer screen...finally figured out that to get it back to normal boot, i had to do an Alt +f10 , get into the recovery screen, and then exit out of that without actually doing anything. This would get it to resume booting normally from then on..have had it do this for at least the last three graphics updates..  

The other weird thing is if i shut down the computer from windows (8.1), when i go to turn it on, i will have to pull the battery to get it to power on. Doesnt matter if it is on battery, power or both, still have to pull the battery. Next, when it does power up, it will be stuck on the Acer screen doing nothing unless i hit a button on the keyboard twice..once will get the hard drive flashing for a second , and then a second tap on a key will get the drive moving again and the little circle of dots will flash and it will now load windows..

Cant figure a cause for either of these...have reset the bios to defaults to no avail..cleaned the computer and virus/maleware scanned..nothing.. computer works normally otherwise

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

I think you should open a command prompt as Administrator and run "chkdsk /f",yes to reboot, when that's done run, as Admin, "sfc /scannow".

• cal0987
    Options

ran...cbs log..found four instances of cannot repair...

2015-01-28 21:19:45, Info CSI 00000584 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
    2015-01-28 21:19:50, Info CSI 00000585 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17415_none_95dd5540d57f8c01\Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB do not match actual file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" :
    Found: {l:32 b:9Xm7AyF+d8IOXTND6afc1CAlzq0Bc6agwY1aLYA5kAg=} Expected: {l:32 b:n520k714Uu3utHa5JGQ6HQYbZphKhlMWq5pEmfnCDuw=}

• cal0987
    Options

Refreshed the windows install, which did nothing, except give me a pain in the neck to hav to update windows and re instll my programs!

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Sorry about that last post. I thought the (FIX) part in the name would fix this problem.

Are you sure it's not malware? Did you use Malwarebytes to scan? It will catch stuff other scanners miss.

I've never experienced this problem or seen anything on it. If it was me, I would do a complete Recovery and see if that fixed it.If no, I would put in another HDD and restore with the Recovery disks. 

• cal0987
    Options

May have something to do with the motherboard...if i leave the computer off all night, then it boots up without removing the battery in the morning. Something must be powering down on the motherboard..