Questions about the c740p

matthew2d
matthew2d Member Posts: 1 New User
So I know the c740 will come out in March. But when will the c740p come out? My birthday is in April and I want to get a chromebook. I decided on the c720p but then I found out that the c740 was coming out in March. The reason I decided on the c720p was because it is touchscreen and the ssd can be upgraded. I also want to know if the ssd will be able to be upgraded on the c740p. Space is a must for me.

If the c740p ssd can't be upgraded then I'll go ahead and get the c720p.

Thanks!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You seem to be asking about a non-existant model. Here is all the info available from Acer on new Chromebooks.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-News/Acer-Launches-Two-Chromebooks-with-Enhanced-Durability-for/ba-p/333737

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yes, they talk about the C740 availibility next month, but no mention of a touchscreen version. They may be waiting to see how the school market segment performs before announcing other models.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • systemBuilder
    systemBuilder Member Posts: 3 New User

We are proud owners of 2x c720p, 4GB/32GB models.  We bought the refurbished ones on EBay for $269+tax, free shipping, direct from Acer (total cost is $285/ea).  These are great models, the 2955U is very zippy, the scratchpad is great, the screens on the touch models are a little better, the keyboard is the only weak point.  

I think you are very smart to want the touch chromebook in the 11" size, the small-sized laptops do a lot better with touch because your hands can reach the screen much more easily, I learned from others.  My sons never use the scratchpad to scroll the screen, any more.

I would prioritize (in order of decreasing priority) :

(a) 4GB of RAM

(b) Touch Screen

(c) 32GB of flash (you can always do this upgrade later)

(d) An i3 processor

I suggest that you should just buy the really affordable white c720p's, refurbished.  The new model will only be about 10% faster than the Celeron 2955U, which will be almost impossible to notice.  The new model WILL be much faster (30-40%) at 3D graphics, but one of my sons loaded Chrubuntu Linux and plays league of legends at 25-40 fps, so 3D graphics speed is not an issue for him.  To really play a lot of games, you'll need a GPU that is 300% faster, not 30-40% faster.  The c720 with 4GB can play Half-Life-2 and Battlefield 4, and also DOTA, and should be able to play Far Cry (haven't tried it but it's in the right ballpark), but will not play newer titles like Crysis or Skyrim.