NEWLY PURCHASED R7-571

Options
ironhorse99
ironhorse99 Member Posts: 8 New User

This is a used unit that's been reset to factory original. I wanted the 572 model but funds woudn't allow it. I resarched for several months before deciding on this. From what I've found so far it looks like I can use 2 drives. I ordered a crucial 256gb ssd which I plan on using as the main drive. haven't used Acronis before to mirror the old drive but from what I've read seems easy to use.The pc has win 8. I'm thinking of upgrading to 8.1 after the drive transfer.

I looking for some guideness. Is there anything I should do before hand. I'm very excited and have had great success with other acer products & am posting this on a 9-yr aspire 5610 which still works fine but as its going on 9-yrs old I think its time for something newer. I've downloaded all the 8.1 driver needed for after the upgrade. All advise is appreciated.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you order a Sata  or an MSata SSD? You need an MSata.

Here is a good informative thread with other linked info.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Acer-R7-571-upgrade-cache-drive-to-large-SSD-for-boot-drive-and/td-p/222772

You might have some driver problems with 8.1. Graphics, Wifi, Touchpad.

• ironhorse99
    Options

I ordered the sata drive as I'm replacing the spinning drive. My previous search led me to believe this is totally do-able. I heard 2-drives could be used but thought the 24gb ssd was part of the hdd. I use one of those one of those presently. What I'm leaning towards is cloning the existing drive with the ssd on the usb-3 port connected to an anker usb-3 to sata device & once complete swapping drives. I guess I should hold off on the 8.1 upgrade for a bit. Thanks for the link and your suggestions.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Make your Recovery USB before you start! You never know what might happen. 

• razooli55
    razooli55 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I started with replacing the mSATA card with a 250 GB Samsung EVO card just for holding data for quick retrieval. Didn't speed up the machine as much as I had hoped. So I purchaced the Samsung EVO 500 GB SATA drive on a great sale. I got the laptop kit which includes a USB-to-SATA cable for cloning. I couldn't get the Acer cloning program to work, so I used Acronis clone feature. All I can say is WOW ... FAST!  

I really would upgrade to Win 8.1 were I you. I have mine configured for mostly desktop use like Win 7, but the improved "modern" apps are all available at the touch of the WIN key (although I haven't found many of them to be of much use to me).

Get a big external HDD and backup, backup, backup. My system restore partition was not copied to the SSD. All that did anyway was to go back to 8.0 which I would NEVER do anyway. Or just keep your old HDD in a safe place and clone that back to the SSD in case you need to.

• ironhorse99
    Options

Probably not going to do anything with the msata. I wanted to jettison the spinning drive. I know this early model(571) has some issues so what my plans are is to upgrade to 8.1 immediately & see if I can get the wireless going though I use bluetooth presently for my web connection(tethering to phone) I haven't any solid data saying wifi is faster than bluetooth but I think it is. I also read that bluetooth might be an issue as well. I may have my work cut out for myself.Man Very Happy

Once I'm finished I think I'll have a really nice device that will last a long time. Thanks for your input & advise.