Aspire R13 new issues

Options
ExPhysCSCS
ExPhysCSCS Member Posts: 10 New User

Just like everyone else, I am experiencing the dreaded keyboard issue.

On top of that, I would like to know if anyone else is having issues with the video playback/system performance when plugging in to charge. After using the laptop and plugging it in to charge while viewing a video, I experience choppy and stuttering playback. Also, the system seems to slow down a bit, which may be related to the stuttering video. I've checked my power settings and everything is what it should be (no type of power saving options enabled).

Lastly, when I shut down my laptop (not sleep), it automatically powers up when opening the lid. Not as annoying as the previous 2 issues, but still bothersome when I want to clean the screen or something.

Answers

• maximemoreillon
    maximemoreillon Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Options

Hello,

I haven't experienced the stuttering playback phenomenon with my R13. However, I did notice that when plugged, the laptop gets hot and the fan spins fast, even if there are no programs running.

The fact the laptop powers itself up when the lid is open also surpised me but I didn't find this alarming. If you want to clean the screen, I would advise you to disable the touchscreen using the FN + O key combo.

• ExPhysCSCS
    Options

Thank you for your response. I'm glad my lid power issue is normal and not specific to my device.

• maidamedia
    maidamedia Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Does the automatic of the screen work on your Re? Not on mine....Does the automatic of the screen work on your Re? Not on mine....

• Asaf
    Asaf Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am also experiencing the problem where my keyboard often either misses a stroke or doubles it. The problem is that while I am situated in Israel, I bought this laptop in the US (MS store) and will have to rely on the Israeli warrenty provider for a solution.I also have the stylus and it eats through a new battery within a week. I take it apart so that the stylus isn't in contact with the battery in an attempt to save battery (those AAAA are terrible to come by and I haven't found a recharageable set anywhere).

Very disappointing faults for such a pricy laptop. Unless the service is spectacular (i.e. keyboard and stylus issues are quickly resolved) I'm never dealing with Acer again, (on any product line) and will make my discontent very public.

• Shamx
    Shamx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    The stuttering for video is normal. It's an Eco setting, you can turn it off somewhere I forget where though. Basically if you drain your battery and then plug it in, it'll lower power consumption across the entire system, this includes throttling both the cpu and gpu (video and games will stutter at lower fps), the reason for this is to charge your battery quicker when it's low, the system will automatically go back to full speed @ 30% battery power, anything lower it'll throttle.

As for the keyboard issue, mine is perfectly fine, in fact it's just as good as Dell's new Inspiron keyboards just smoother keys.

As for heating issues, it does get fairly hot (not unbearable like my old hp envy was) when I play games. Any other time it stays warm and fans are not audible.

The only complaint I have is the backlight for the keyboard, it's bright enough in dark rooms but it's a lot dimmer than any other backlighting I have seen, I kind of wish it was a little brighter or customizable. For example it's not noticeable during the day or in a lighted room.
  • ExPhysCSCS
    Options

I thought it was from some eco mode but I've checked my settings numerous times and everything is set on max performance when plugged in (power settings in control panel and intel graphics).  It does seem to go away when it's been charging for a bit, but I was just wondering if this was normal for other R13 users. 

You are lucky to not have keyboard issues. Not sure how long you've had the laptop, but maybe after using it more, you might see what we are talking about. If not, you lucked out.

I didn't mention any heating issues. Also, why do you need to be able to see the backlight in a well lit room? The purpose of a backlit keyboard is so you can see the keys in a dark to dimly lit room.  The problem I have with the backlight is that it reverts to the bright setting when opening the lid or powering on the laptop when I had it set to zero before putting it to sleep or shutting it down.

• Shamx
    Shamx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The heat comment was for maximemoreillon saying it gets hot often and fans spin really fast (mine only gets hot when playing games and warm on high quality videos).  And ya the slowdown is some battery setting that I can't yet find, but basically it's a quick charge feature to charge your battery to 30% faster by lowring all performance, I have tested this multiple times, although I don't get much video stuttering (Netflix and Youtube plays fine at low battery) only sometimes ,but I did notice about 50% fps drops, dowclocking and fan speed lowering (barely audible) while playing games when the battery is lower than 30% regardless if it is plugged in or not which led me to believe it is an intended fature and it automatically goes back to normal as soon as it hits 30% (power adapter gets hotter as well during those 30% charging time).

I've had this laptop since the 27th of December, so I've had a good 2 weeks to play with it and the keyboard works really well I rarely make mistakes ot have to backtrack to fix stuff.

As for the backlghting its just diffferent from what I am used to its WAY dimmer than my old laptop where they were greatly noticeable in the light.  But I guess this is better it saves battery life and only turns on when you need to.  

This whole post was written with 1 mistake which I think I have lucked out on a good keyboard.  

/e

Just bolded the mistake I made.

• costcoace
    costcoace Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

My R13 won't play any video files fluidly.  Some slightly better than others, but most are unwatchable.  It's a little better if the files are actually saved to the device, but forget it trying to read from SD or cloud.  Webcam playback is fine.  General response time lags worse than my 5 year old computers, and this one is brand new with quadrouple the RAM.  Less than 2 weeks old, stuttering videos, poor wifi reception and overall speed. Help?