Travelmate P453-M-6888 will not boot from SSD

tbingeman
tbingeman Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

I am trying to upgrade my Travelmate P453-M-6888 to a SSD drive in order to make it faster.  I have done an entire drive clone over to the SSD, which is recognized by BIOS, but whenever I try to boot the computer I get a message saying non bootable disk.  I have not tried doing a reinstall and then restoring a backup onto the drive.  This will be my next step.  I wanted to find out if anyone has been able to get a disk clone to work.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

check if windows partition is marked as bootable and primary.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tbingeman

OK, with a GPT disk, how would you recommend doing just that.  Should I use a 3rd party tool or should I use diskpart?

• IronFly

You can use diskpart.

by the way, SSD has some optimisation on windows installation and i suggest you to install the OS from scratch if possible.

• tbingeman

I am attempting to do a fresh install now with the SSD completely blank.  We will see if Windows 8.1 will make the disk bootable now.  If this works, then I can just restore a backup to get all my files and settings back.

EDIT:

Fresh install did not make the disk active and bootable.  Attempting to clean the drive and convert to MBR instead of GPT to try another fresh install.

• tbingeman

No matter what I do, I can not seem to get a fresh install to work on either of the 2 brand new 240 GB SSD drives that I have here.I can only guess that this laptop will not support an SSD drive at all.

• IronFly

curious side:

if you boot from an Ubuntu live CD or Hiren's boot cd with mini XP or Linux parted magic, are you able to read/write to the SSD?

is the BIOS updated?

• tbingeman

BIOS is at 2.19 and I know the system can write to the SSD because the windows install only fails after the reboot and files get written to the drive before then

• IronFly

Yes, seems BIOS limitation:

http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Travelmate-P453-M-will-not-recognize-any-ssds/td-p/35605/page/2

can you please post the SSD model and brand?

• tbingeman

The drive is a 240 GB Kingston ssdNOW v300 drive.

• IronFly

can you try to update the SSD firmware, if the latest isn't already installed.

http://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/downloads?product=SV300S3&filename=V300_525fw_Win

• tbingeman

The firmware you have listed is older than what is on my drives apparently.  That firmware is 525 where my drives say 600 already

• IronFly

ok, i give up...no more ideas, sorry. Smiley Sad

• tbingeman

Thank you for trying.  Anyone else have any ideas on what we can do?

• tbingeman

Appears that the Crucial M500 series drives are the only compatible drives for teh TravelMate P453-M series laptops.  I have ordered one and am awaiting it's arrival.  Will update this thread once I receive the drive and have attempted to get it operating.

• IronFly

ok, good. Smiley Very Happy

• tbingeman

Received the new drive today and as soon as I put it into the laptop, BIOS will not see it when it is installed as the primary drive.

• IronFly

no words.... Smiley Sad

• tbingeman

I just don't get why this is happening.

• tbingeman

I now have Crucial's engineering department looking into this issue.  Hopefully we find something out soon as to why this is happening.

• dphoenix
    dphoenix Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi tbingemanm

Did you hear back from Crucial or have you managed to resolve the issue?

I'm having the same issue with a Travelmate P453-M and using a crucial SSD BX100.