Why do I have an Aspire R7-571 bluetooth and wi-fi conflict after the Windows 8.1 upgrade?

Options
Beartrapruss
Beartrapruss Member Posts: 4 New User

Prior to forced upgrade from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 on my Aspire R7-571, I was able to use my bluetooth headphones and stream netflix movies without any hesitation or buffering issues. After the Windows upgrade (and I use the term loosely), netflix has taken up to 193 minutes to buffer and show a 42 minute episode of a streaming program. I struggled (and used a lot of foul language for the past month) along with installing new drivers over and over. This didn't help at all. The streaming didn't get any better.

A friend suggested that I disable the internal bluetooth system and try using a USB bluetooth dongle. I thought why not, it seems I am a glutton for punishment and it can't get any worse. Wow, was I surprised. I disabled the internal bluetooth, installed the external device software and popped in the dongle. I can now stream video again and not have to watch it in slow motion. 

This brings up a few questions.

Was getting good streaming and bluetooth prior to the upgrade just a fluke?

Was someone asleep at the keyboard during the programming of the upgrade?

When I research this problem does Acer say it is a Windows problem, Windows says it is a Broadcom problem, Broadcom says it is an antenna problem, so that no one is accountable for knowing what is the problem?

Will I ever be able to live dongle free and not tear up the side of my briefcase when I forget to take off the dongle?

Thank y'all for reading, I'll get off the soapbox now. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you updated the drivers from the Acer support website?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4757;-;Aspire%20R7-571

seclect 8.1 as operating system and download the newest drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Beartrapruss
    Options

I have updatd the drivers twice 21 days apart. Has there been a new update since the first of December 2014? The published dates of the drives are all from 2013. 

• IronFly
    Options

Tried this?

a.      Open Internet Explorer.

b.      Click on Tools and then click on Internet Options.

c.       Click on Advanced tab.

d.       Scroll down to Security, then step e

e.      Unmark "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode"

f.      Save the changes and restart the Internet Explorer.

• Beartrapruss
    Options

I am not sure why changing internet explorer would make a difference to the Netflix app. Can you please explain how they work together? 

• IronFly
    Options

i supposed that netflix app was an IE add-on.

youtube videos work or are you facing the same buffering issue?

• Beartrapruss
    Options

I was having the problem only after the upgrade from windows 8.0 (which was installed on the machine when I received it) to 8.1. The upgrade was a horrible process for me. The first time the upgrade caused my R7 to drop dead and required a complete factory reload of the original Windows 8.0 system. The second time I had a tech support person help with the process (16 hours) to make it work except for the wi-fi and bluetooth at the same time. I can't tell you how many dirvers I have had to download and install (with a tech supports help). I had a tech support person comb through these forums and try everything others have done with regard to problems with bluetooth and wi-fi conflicts and buffering issues. He is at a loss for how to correct the problem and hence the dongle. 

The Netflix app was obtained directly from the "store" and resides on the start screen. I just logon on to the PC when it starts up and it is one of the "buttons" located right next to iTunes and Word. I don't think it uses any "browser" to work. I dont' use browsers to watch videos much, but do like to stream netflix using their application as they are reluctant to support anything else when I have any problems. Their tech support stance about this is that it is a problem with Windows, Bluetooth and Acer Hardware.  

They suggested I come here and pose these questions to see if anyone else is having a problem also.