Predator G3120 stops working after one hour (quite precisely)

Skumawiki
Skumawiki Member Posts: 6 New User

Acer Predator G3120

Windows 7 (64 bits)

Original state

Stops working after one hour (véry reproducable)

Hello peoples,

For over two years now, I have owned an Acer Predator G3120 and I have experienced a lot of fun from it. Since three months or so, however, I can't keep the pc running for more than an hour anymore. If I have any programs running at the point where it passes the one hour limit, my pc crashes and gives me a BSOD (mostly stopcode 0x000000f4). If I do not have any programs running, it will be unable to open any shortcuts from my desktop, and if I try to go to "My Computer", explorer.exe stops working. Alt+ctrl+del will result in a black screen. I'm quite a greenie when it comes to things like these, but I myself supposed it had to do something with my SSD.

Downloading the newest drivers didn't work, however. Also, I'm pretty sure this doesn't have to do with malware, as I couldn't detect any with various scanners, and I set my pc back to factory settings (which makes it quite certain it doesn't have to do with any installed programs either).

At this point, I have run out of possible solutions, and so any assistance would be more than welcome.

Thank you for reading,

Skumawiki

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Yes probably something related to SSD, so a few things to try:

1) update chipset drivers

2) check SSD SATA and power cables

3) check if any SSD firmware update is available

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Skumawiki

Thanks for the advise! I'll try those possible solutions you gave, but I must say, however, that I am rather unexperienced when it comes to doing things like these. I think I can handle 1 and 2, but so far I haven't been able to find any firmware update for my SSD (C400-MTFDDAK064M), which seems to only get me to German sites. Do you happen to be able to give me a small push in the right direction?

• IronFly

C400 usually is Micron C400, the same model of Crucial M4 and as far i remember they can share the Firmware releases, it's just a rebrand.

take note that before flashing a SSD is always better to make a backup of your personal files.

go here:

http://www.micron.com/support/document-search?solutions={3363DDAD-5732-425C-BD82-F10D5A8E300A}

and dowload the Storage Executive Software, this will help you to find and install updates for your SSD.

• Skumawiki

Thanks a lot, will try Smiley Happy

It's going to take a while before I know the outcome, however, since it has to run at least one hour before I can see results.

• Skumawiki

"No drives found in the system.

No drives were found in the system. This may be because your drives are allocated in a RAID configuration. You may proceed with a manual firmware update by providing a valid ZIP package containing new firmware binaries.

The firmware package provided will be used to identify matching drives that need to be updated. For example, if you provide an M500 firmware package, all your M500 drives will be updated."

Storage Executive does not seem to be able to find my drive, and grant me an update automatically. This most likely has to do with the fact that I reinstalled the SSD drive, which causes it to be in a different position, correct? Is there a way to solve that? In case of a negative: I'm sorry if my next reply will take a little longer than expected.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
  • Skumawiki

I updated the firmware and at this very moment, I have got the pc up and running for over two hours! I'll keep watching it the coming days, but honestly, I doubt the initial problem will return. I don't know how to thank you, IronFly (:

I'm amazed to see that I don't have to be on my own with problems like these, and so I am more than grateful for your help. Is there anything I could give you in return, as a token of appreciation?

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy

what you did, accepting as solution is enough.

• Skumawiki

Hahaha you're way too modest Smiley Wink

Thanks for doing this, I wish you the best of luck in the future!