Acer Aspire R13 (R7-371T) - Problems

renesys
renesys Member Posts: 10 New User

I have bought an Acer Aspire R13 (R7-371T), the Ezel it's awesome, the Active Pen it's good, great battery life 8hrs to 10hrs in normal use, but the laptop has some big problems and i have decided to return it and refund my money. The problems that i have encounter are compared to a HP TM2, which is a similar machine, older and doesn't have similar problems. You may say that i was unlucky and got a defect Acer product, but i have replaced the first one thinking the same thing so the problem is the same on two machines leading me to think that it's the same on all. Here are the problems:

The Acer has Screen Bleeding and on top of that it has Ghosting as well... after so many years of making LCD screens i was hoping for improvements... my HP doesn't have this problems, even after 4 years of usage. A cheap laptop doesn't have this problems...

The Touchpad doesn't work on small movements. Weirdly is made by Synaptics, same manufacturer as on my HP which works perfectly. I have updated the driver, talked with the support team, nothing...

Very Very Poor Wi-Fi when staying in a far room from the AccesPoint. Compared with my HP that downloads at about 700KB/s, the Acer can't even reach 50KB/s, plus it drops every 10 minutes. Even a phone has a better connection, for example a Samsung Note 3 downloads with 300KB/s in the same room. Then i thought i have a crappy router and i have bought an Asus RT-AC68U Dual Band. Indeed i have to admit the Acer downloads with about 12MB/s when on 5ghz and in the same room with the Router, compared with my HP that only reaches 10MB/s on 2.4ghz. Ok back to the far room, the speed reaches about 100KB/s but compared with the HP that reaches 2MB/s it's a huge difference. And still drops, rarely, but it drops... The tests where done using speedtest.net and selecting the same server. I have updated the driver from Acer, i also tried the driver from Intel i even enabled and disabled all the settings in Device Manager and the setting from Power Management was always at Maximum Performance as well as the Transmit Power in Device Manager at Maximum.

I hope that Acer takes this seriously, repair this problems and i for sure will buy the next model.

Answers

• maximemoreillon
    maximemoreillon Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

Hello,

My R13 Is also showing some backlight bleeding on the top edge of the screen as well as Image retention. However, I had a far worse backlight bleeding experience with a Lenovo Thinkpad prior to buying this laptop and apparently, Ghosting is a common problem with newer devices (Thinkpad yoga for example). So I'm not complaining too much about it.

However, the weak wi-fi is really frustrating. Mine sometimes starts to drop no further than 20 meters away from the access point.

You might want to know that the trackpad issue seems not to be present on my device though. I'm not sure how small the movements have to be to notice the phenomenon but I haven't been bothered about this aspect so far. However, I still think the trackpad is really bad on this laptop. By the way, is it normal that only the bottom portion of the trackpad is clickable? The top portion can not be pressed at all on mine.

I'm surprised you haven't mentionned the keyboard in your message though? Have you experienced problems with the keyboard doubling / ignoring keystrokes randomly?

Anyway, I would really want to get a refund for mine as well but tech support only accepts to repair it, which will probably fail. How come you could get a refund so easily?

• renesys
    renesys Member Posts: 10 New User

Hello,

Thanks for your message, i hope that Acer wakes up and make laptops like before.

I heard about Lenovo and that is shameful as well. For me is absolutely inacceptable, i wouldn't buy a second hand laptop with this screen problems... And i am thinking, how the hell is this happening, the LCD screens are on laptops for so many years and didn't have this problems, where is the evolution? ...i was expecting something better than my HP TM2 and it's beyond worst.

For the Wi-Fi go to Device Manager -> Properties (Wi-Fi Adapter) -> Advanced ...there you will have two settings on Auto for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz, move them from Auto to 20mhz. And it will not drop as often at that distance.

Small movements... put your finger on it and move it very slow, it will do nothing for about 1-2cm. Usually on laptops only the bottom of the trackpad is clickable.

I have noticed that sometimes it didn't type a letter but i thought i didn't accommodate with it and didn't press enough...

Well i am from Romania and here we have a great store, www.emag.ro, that let's us return any product back in 30 days, no matter the reason. And also if i buy online and receive it by delivery from any store, they have to accept the return in 14days and refund my money by law. I don't know from where are you, but if you received it by delivery i think you can return it.