CB280HK 4k monitor Flickers Black

SGumley
SGumley Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives

I have just bought the Acer CB280HK 4K monitor, i plugged it into my ati radeon 7900 via dp(monitor) to dp mini(graphics card) cable.

i have noticed that the screen flashes black every now and again, it happens on a uneven bais but which seems to be happening more often, when it does flash black the power light on the monitor is still light.

i am running this monitor along side with a 24" monitor via dvi and that runs smooth.

I am getting a new Nvidia Geforce 970 GTX graphics card on monday so i will see if that fixes the problem.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this before

Answers

• andrewhue
    andrewhue Member Posts: 1 New User

HI. I have the same issue also. I am running my screen from a Surface pro with i7 processoer using a mini port to HDMI cord. Unbeleivably annoying.

Seems to be more frequent when displaying the Acer website.

• jimmykwa
    jimmykwa Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,

I have the exact issue with yours. Hook up with ATI radeon 7990 via dp to minidp on gpu.

One thing that i've noticed is that when i reduced it to 30hz on 4k resolution, the flicker stops.

I've been facing this issue for the past 3 weeks and trying to get over it with all sorts of troubleshooting methods (ex. change cable, reduce the resolution but remains it at 60 hz, reinstall the gpu drivers multiple time) but still it doesn't help.

Hope that there is some solution to this as it is quite frustrating to keep staring at it.

• Alaska99801
    Alaska99801 Member Posts: 8 New User
    I was having the same problem that all of you are having with the monitor turning on and off, screen going black kn and off. After many tries i figured out that i had a bad cable.
    Buy a new cable DisplayPort cable that has the DP stamp on it. The DP means that the cable has passed the requirements of the displayport association. I figured out what my problem was after reading about it at their website. Go and check it out and buy thise new cables. I havent had any problems since I replaced my cable.
    www.displayport.org
  • KrankIt
    KrankIt Member Posts: 2 New User

Having simalr problem. Monitor comes with a DP lead and a DVI lead. On using DP lead display flickers on the shows a black screen and so on.

Have tried HMDI to no luck but think my HDMI lead may be shot at.

Using th DVI lead at the moment so stuck to 30Hz @ full resolution. 

• micleg
    micleg Member Posts: 12 New User

Same problem with GTX 970, factory cable and XB270HU display. Have tried two displays with two cables and they both do this.

What is this? An Acer problem? G-sync problem?

• Alaska99801
    Alaska99801 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Use the DisplayPort connection. Use only a cable that shows the DP on its end. That assurw you that those cables have passed the manufacturing control.
    Only through the DisplayPort can you get 4K at 60hz. Which is the only way to ise 4K.
  • KrankIt
    KrankIt Member Posts: 2 New User

Used DP lead that came with monitor and inseted into monitors DP port and GFX cards DP port. Monitor still flickerd from desktop to black screen. Only solution is to used DVI lead.

Solution was to take Monitor back under warranty and have it swoped out replacement monitor works on DP port but is not an Acer.

• nitznair
    nitznair Member Posts: 4 New User
  • MikeDy
    MikeDy Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

My Screen Flickers Black intermittently when using at 4K. If I lower to standard HD 1920x1080 it stops blinking.

Have purchased a new 'certified' DP cable and tried it. It made no difference. Have tried the suggestion on youtube of slowing down the GPU memory speed. Tried this and slowing the GPU clock way down and everything in-between without any change in behavior. Noticed that if I bring up the OSD, it goes away after a quick blank (even though the osd should stay on for at least 10seconds). This suggests to me that the monitor is resetting itself. I love this thing when it works, and would hate to return it. Any suggestions ? 

• nitznair
    nitznair Member Posts: 4 New User

This is what mine is doing at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Xu1m3gpAo

I have bought a DP Certified cable, waiting for its delivery. If this continues after testing with the DP certified cable, then i will have no choice but to return it. Lovely monitor for the price range but cant handle the flickering!

• TheKodiii
    TheKodiii Member Posts: 1 New User

So do you guys get flickering like in Nitznair's video, or more a signal loss style black screen from 0-3 seconds?

I get signal loss but not flickering.

• MikeDy

Tinkerer

My monitor mostly blinks off, kinda randomly. It also sometimes shows a little 'jitter' and some random flickering. But, the big problem is that it goes completely black, sometimes for several seconds, and sometimes over and over again, in the most annoying manner. Since the problem started I have updated all of my motherboard drivers - LAN, USB, Chipset, etc. I have also downloaded the latest drivers and application for my Radeon R7 260x Graphics card. I even went to the acer website and downloaded and installed a driver fot the monitor, so now Win 7 device manager correctly identifies it as a CB280HK. My Win 7 Pro has all of the latest updates and service pack installed. I'm not overclocking anything on the motherboard or GPU and as I said I just got a new "certified' cable and have the same problem. 

I have tried lowering the resolution and found that it would only stop blanking when it was lowered all the way down to standard HD (1920 x 1080). Even one setting higher, and the problem would come back. 

I have just found one thing that did work - but it's not what it should be - I went to the 'tools' menu using the monitor's front panel and set the displayport setting from DP 1.2 to DP 1.1. After that, I can display full 4K with no problem whatsoever - no blanking or other signs of instability and have used it for hours like that. Here's the catch - when I clicked on the 'advanced' settings under the 'set screen resolution button and went to the monitor tab, I found that it had changed the vertical refresh rate to 30HZ. For cad work,  I can probaly live with this, as there is no visible sign of the interlacing, but I've read this gives very poor performance for video and gaming where there's motion - can anyone  confirm this ?

It looks to me that either my video  card (which I  read from numerous  sources, could support non-interlaced 4k, really can't, or it's the monitor. 

So I dug a little deeper into the graphics card specs. The Sapphire web site says it supports 4k and displayport - but get this: IF YOU GO TO THE AMD WEB SITE, IT CLEARLY SHOWS THAT  THE RADEON R7 DOES NOT SUPPORT DISPLAYPORT !!!!.  AMD does show that they're  next better GPU - The R9 series does support it. So, I went

out today and have purchased an R9 graphics card locally (which costs more than twice what I paid for the R7) and will give it a try - which is kind of a pain because it needs two power connections ( a six and an 8 conductor) and I have to uninstall the drivers and load new ones. I'll let you know as soon as I find if that fixes the problem. If it does, I saw an R9 board on sale somewhere for around $150 on the net (around $50 more than my R7 - after rebate)..

• MikeDy

Tinkerer

Here's an update on the problem of my monitor blinking off at times and sometimes jittering when running 4k at 60Hz. ... I bought a higher powered graphics card - Nvidia GTX 970. This stopped the blinking problem altogether.

Seeing as how it cost me around $330 at Bestbuy, I probably wouldn't have bought the monitor in the first place if I had known what it was going to cost altogether. But, seeing at full 4K, watching NFL on my desktop (though an HDHomerun cable TV to network box), I can't take it back!

I'm still working the tech support on my $100 Radeon R7 260x hopeing they may offer a solution that will make it work - through a bios or driver update or something. If that happens, I will update. 

It looks like it takes a '7' series (or higher) gpu (i.e, 770, 870, 970, etc.) minimum, at least that's my experience.

• MikeDy

Tinkerer

Problem Solved: Been using the GEFORCE GTX970 for over a week and no more blinking of flickering. Got a response from Sapphire about the R7 260x GPU card - they said it doesn't support 4K 60Hz, only 30Hz. I noticed they took down their overview description from their website, which I'm pretty sure, used to say that it did support 4k at 60Hz. 

• paulwoods
    paulwoods Member Posts: 1 New User

I had this problem, tried all the usual nonsense that's advised about cables. Basically, if a digital cable ever transmits a stable image signal for five continuous minutes, it's fine and you need to look elsewhere.

I remembered a curious choice in the Intel Display Settings - option to have 59Hz or 60Hz. (They must know of the problem, otherwise, why the freedom?) Mine was at 60Hz. I changed it to 59Hz. The black screens stopped.

• haoshi2000
    haoshi2000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks. This last post really helped. 

I had this problem and was frustrated with cable switching not solving the problem, until I found this post.

Display Setting>Advanced Display Setting>Display adapter properties for Display 2>List All Modes

Choose the one matching your display or experiment with slight variation (like 59Hz or 60Hz).

Problem solved!!!!
  • kjprice37
    kjprice37 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yeah, I suppose it would not help as my computer does not recognize the model.

------------------------
    www.tipscertified.com