Restore fails error code 0x17

vlutz
vlutz Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hello All - I am having trouble reimaging my son's computer.  The computer is a Gateway NE56R48U.  The hard drive has crashed and I ran a check on the hard drive using seagates software.  According to seagate the hard drive is bad.  I purchased the restore CD's and tried to use an old hard drive that I formated.  I have experienced two issues.  One was an error advising the BIOS needed to be put in legacy mode and when I make the chance, I receive an error advising the software requires UEFI.  This vicous circle continued until i found a post advising to remove the partitions on the hard drive by cleaning the partition.  I also have received the following error "restore failed - Error code = 0x17 Data error cyclic redundancy check."  This occurs after I put in the recovery boot 1 about three minutes into the restore.  I've tried restoring numerous times.  According the various posts, this error indicates a bad hard drive.  So I tried another hard drive and got the same error.  So, I purchased a new hard drive and again got the same error.  PLEASE HELP!  I've tried everything I know to recover and reinstall the system using the factory restore disks. 

Answers